Hi, all:

I use cron to run puppet agent, but recently i found the script takes too
long time. After using '--debug', i got this log:

2012-09-13 15:19:53.928744500 debug: Finishing transaction 69941650538440
2012-09-13 15:19:53.928988500 debug: Storing state
2012-09-13 15:19:54.930995500 debug: Stored state in 1.00 seconds
2012-09-13 15:19:54.931145500 notice: Finished catalog run in 48.21 seconds
2012-09-13 15:20:03.721411500 debug: Value of
'preferred_serialization_format' (pson) is invalid for report, using
default (b64_zlib_yaml)
2012-09-13 15:20:03.721578500 debug: report supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml
raw yaml; using b64_zlib_yaml
2012-09-13 15:21:10.805932500 Puppet run done.

The last 'Puppet run done' is a bash echo after puppet agent. So we can see
it took 1 minute and more before the echo line. But if i set 'report =
false' in puppet.conf, there is no such long time. Does puppet use this
time to generate and send reports? How can i tune this?

  • Daniel Pittman at Sep 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm

[...]

    In essence, yes: we build the report structure as we go, but
    transforming it for submission, and sending it over the wire,
    certainly take time. That is proportional to the number of resources
    you have in your catalog, including things like recursive file copies
    or tidies.
    How can i tune this?
    There really isn't any way to improve performance: there isn't (much)
    you can do to improve YAML output performance - although Telly, Puppet
    3.0.0, will be a bit faster at building YAML when it is released.

    You could check to see if the performance problem comes from network
    transmission problems, but really there isn't much you can do to
    improve a single HTTPS request, which is how we submit the report back
    to the the master.

    --
    Daniel Pittman
    ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com

  • Flex at Sep 14, 2012 at 10:16 am
    Thanks, Daniel. We do have some recursive file copies and hundreds of other
    resources. So we'd better decrease the resources numbers?
[...]

  • Daniel Pittman at Sep 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm

    Thanks, Daniel. We do have some recursive file copies and hundreds of other
    resources. So we'd better decrease the resources numbers?
    Well, that would be the only short term path to making report output
    faster - but, in general, if you are managing it you probably need to
    be managing it. :)

    --
    Daniel Pittman
    ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
    ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

  • Flex at Sep 17, 2012 at 7:14 am
    Thank you, Daniel.
    Then how can we make puppet not generate the reports? I try to add
    'report=false', but seems no effect.
    Thanks, Daniel. We do have some recursive file copies and hundreds of other
    resources. So we'd better decrease the resources numbers?
    Well, that would be the only short term path to making report output
    faster - but, in general, if you are managing it you probably need to
    be managing it. :)

    --
    Daniel Pittman
    ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
    ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

  • Daniel Pittman at Sep 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm
    The agent builds up an in-memory report no matter what; you can't avoid that.

    You could write a "null" report terminus that responds to save by
    simply discarding the data, though. That would remove the cost of
    YAML serialization.

    I guess the key question, though, is why you feel you need this?
    Then how can we make puppet not generate the reports? I try to add
    'report=false', but seems no effect.
    Thanks, Daniel. We do have some recursive file copies and hundreds of
    other
    resources. So we'd better decrease the resources numbers?
    Well, that would be the only short term path to making report output
    faster - but, in general, if you are managing it you probably need to
    be managing it. :)

    --
    Daniel Pittman
    ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
    ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

    Daniel Pittman
    ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
    ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

  • Flex at Sep 18, 2012 at 3:35 am
    Sometimes we use puppet agent --test --environment xxx to debug puppet
    configuration. The 2 minutes and more execution time is unacceptable. As
    agent output is enough, we do not need the report that time. This is why i
    want to disable the reports.

    On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel@puppetlabs.com>