1st the versions I use on Debian wheezy

ii facter 1.6.11-1puppetlabs1 all
Ruby module for collecting simple facts about a host operating system
ii puppet 2.7.19-1puppetlabs2 all
Centralized configuration management - agent startup and compatibility
scripts
ii puppet-common 2.7.19-1puppetlabs2 all
Centralized configuration management
ii puppet-dashboard 1.2.10-1puppetlabs2 all
Dashboard for Puppet
ii puppetlabs-release 1.0-5 all
"Package to install Puppet Labs gpg key and apt repo"
ii puppetmaster 2.7.19-1puppetlabs2 all
Centralized configuration management - master startup and compatibility
scripts
ii puppetmaster-common 2.7.19-1puppetlabs2 all
Puppet master common scripts
ii vim-puppet 2.7.19-1puppetlabs2 all
syntax highlighting for puppet manifests in vim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
info: Retrieving plugin
info: Loading facts in /etc/puppet/modules/stdlib/lib/facter/root_home.rb
info: Loading facts in
/etc/puppet/modules/stdlib/lib/facter/puppet_vardir.rb
info: Loading facts in /etc/puppet/modules/stdlib/lib/facter/facter_dot_d.rb
info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/root_home.rb
info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/puppet_vardir.rb
info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/facter_dot_d.rb

When I look into /etc/puppet/modules/stdlib/lib/facter/facter_dot_d.rb
or /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/facter_dot_d.rb

The Directory for the external facts should be in

/etc/facts.d

so I created it.

I also downloaded the latest stdlib and included it.
The fact is:

/etc/facts.d/datacenter.yaml

location: FRA

Now I do a puppet run. (pluginsync is enabled in the puppet.conf)
then
facter location -p -d
Not an EC2 host

if I run just facter it works with the standard facts

Thanks for any help!