Hi guys.

I'm new to this but have been going throught the Puppet Learning exercises
but haven't worked out a framework/system to deploy WebSphere applications.
Rather than downloading a Puppet Module (there's none for WebSphere) or
whatever I'm trying to do anyway (well I couldn't find it) so I tried to
write myself but finding it challenging to set it up so appreciate all the
help I can get but first just to set it up and have the POC showcased by
this Friday. We can build on it later on.

I started writing a module that calls a Unix script (which invokes Jython)
but now I really need your help to FIRST OF ALL set it all up to utilise
the master/agent configuration to manage the differences between
environments and applications. That is:
* what classes to write
* what parameterised classes to use (which parameters to pass)
* use inheritances
* our environments are different (eg. multiple location of wsadmin.sh to
invoke Jython, with different cellnames and sometimes different values for
-MapModulesToServers/-MapResRefToEJB/-MapRolesToUsers) so probably need to
use some sort of config file (but something with CSV format or maybe other
type of delimiter so I can control/populate new apps from there to deploy
so it must be self manage rather than having to write new code and that's
easy to summarise and later compare to different environment - see below).
I may be wrong here in that we may not need this but at least a way to tell
Puppet that this application is different especially in certain environments
* use various templates (or use 1 template with variables in there)

#autodeploy.cfg
#type, app, appname, EAR destination, deployWS, ...
ear, Claims, ClaimsEAR, \$(APP_INSTALL_ROOT)/Cell01,,
ear, ClaimsReporting, ClaimsReportingEAR,
\$(APP_INSTALL_ROOT)/\$(WAS_CELL_NAME),,
ear, DMOrchestra, dm-orchestra-service-ear,
\$(APP_INSTALL_ROOT)/\$(WAS_CELL_NAME), -deployws
jar,
xml,

An example deployment tree structure of a typical WebSphere application
where the logic below must iterate through (if it exists):
/mnt/autodeploy/SIT/Claims/claims-admin-ear-5.1.15.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/SIT/ClaimsReporting/ClaimsReporting-claims_reporting_ITPC-107.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/Claims/claims-admin-ear-5.1.15.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/ClaimsReporting/ClaimsReporting-claims_reporting_ITPC-107.ear
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/ContentUploadService
/mnt/autodeploy/UAT/Unknown [Unknown app not listed in config file so
display message]

If you know Jython (WebSphere's scripting language) then great as currently
we don't even detect for the cellname. Later on I want to transfer the Unix
logic (if/for loop statements) to Puppet/Ruby language, see below for a
draft plan.

*Step* *
* *
* *
* *
* *Initial Tool* *Proposed Tool* *Additional info* display date

Unix Puppet

for each directory in /mnt/autodeploy
Unix Puppet Values to pass (parameter or defined class)?
for any *.ear/.jar/.xml file
Unix Puppet Need? Array or Puppet template or config file (see below - use
cut/awk/sed?)…

if ear file

Unix Puppet

display msg 'Which ear file's backup'

backup old ear file
Jython

identify cell
Jython

update app
Jython

rename/delete new ear file Unix Puppet

else jar file

Unix Puppet

else xml file

Unix Puppet

else

display msg 'Nothing found at that directory'