Dear readers,

How do I syntax debug the config files on the puppet master before I deploy
them?

My current problem is that server_list is to be an array, and I don't know
if I should write

class { 'ntp': server_list => $ntpServerList }
or
class { 'ntp': server_list = $ntpServerList }

How do I debug such a situation on puppet 3?

Hugs,
Sandra

node "client1.example.com" {
include common
class { 'ntp': server_list => $ntpServerList }
}

class common {
include common::data
}

class common::data {
$ntpServerList = [
'ntp1.example.com','ntp2.example.com','ntp3.example.com' ]

  • Bernd Adamowicz at Aug 24, 2012 at 10:03 am
    Did you ever try Gepetto (https://github.com/cloudsmith/geppetto)? At least in the coming version (3.0) will support Puppet 3. I really do recommend Gepetto since I've been working with it for more than a year now and it helped me a lot creating error free code. You should give it a try. There are also current beta releases available which (as far as I know) already do support Puppet 3. It's available as an Eclipse plugin and as a standalone program.

    Cheers,
    Bernd

    How do I syntax debug the config files on the puppet master before I deploy them?

    My current problem is that server_list is to be an array, and I don't know if I should write

    class { 'ntp': server_list => $ntpServerList }
    or
    class { 'ntp': server_list = $ntpServerList }

    How do I debug such a situation on puppet 3?

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    node "client1.example.com" {
    include common
    class { 'ntp': server_list => $ntpServerList }
    }

    class common {
    include common::data
    }

    class common::data {
    $ntpServerList = [ 'ntp1.example.com','ntp2.example.com','ntp3.example.com' ]

  • Sandra Schlichting at Aug 24, 2012 at 10:27 am
    Hi Bernd

    Did you ever try Gepetto (https://github.com/cloudsmith/geppetto)? At
    least in the coming version (3.0) will support Puppet 3. I really do
    recommend Gepetto since I’ve been working with it for more than a year
    now and it helped me a lot creating error free code. You should give it a
    try. There are also current beta releases available which (as far as I
    know) already do support Puppet 3. It’s available as an Eclipse plugin and
    as a standalone program.
    Ok, so Gepetto is a plugin for Eclipse?

    I don't suppose it works with either VI or emacs?

    Hugs,
    Sandra

  • Bernd Adamowicz at Aug 24, 2012 at 10:44 am
    Hi Sandra,

    Yes, you may either use it as an Eclipse plugin or as a standalone program. There's no link to vi or Emacs at all. I think I know what you mean. My absolutely favorite editor is vim. Normally I don't need anything else but the command line and vim. However, when it's about creating source code (Puppet, Java, whatever) I want to have the ability to see my errors while I'm typing and that's why I then move to some GUI stuff like Eclipse. It saves me a lot of time. (Not to mention some other advantages like code formatting.)

    I know there are also command line tools for validating Puppet code. Maybe someone else from this list can provide more information.

    Cheers
    Bernd

    Did you ever try Gepetto (https://github.com/cloudsmith/geppetto)? At least in the coming version (3.0) will support Puppet 3. I really do recommend Gepetto since I've been working with it for more than a year now and it helped me a lot creating error free code. You should give it a try. There are also current beta releases available which (as far as I know) already do support Puppet 3. It's available as an Eclipse plugin and as a standalone program.
    Ok, so Gepetto is a plugin for Eclipse?

    I don't suppose it works with either VI or emacs?

    Hugs,
    Sandra

  • Juan Sierra Pons at Aug 24, 2012 at 11:43 am
    Hi

    I my 5 cents:

    I first use vim-puppet (syntax highlighting for puppet manifests in
    vim while creating my manifest) To create my manifests

    Then I use
    - puppet parser validate file.pp (Validate the syntax of one or more
    Puppet manifests).

    - puppet-lint file.pp (Check that your Puppet manifest conform to the
    style guide) this one must installed using gems package manager: gem
    install puppet-lint

    Usually inside a loop to check many files at a time

    Check all .pp files in a directory
    find -name '*.pp' | xargs -n 1 -t puppet parser validate
    find -name '*.pp' | xargs -n 1 -t puppet-lint

    Best regards
    Juan Sierra Pons juan@elsotanillo.net
    Linux User Registered: #257202 http://www.elsotanillo.net
    GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
    Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00 6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE

[...]

  • Sandra Schlichting at Aug 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    Dear Juan

    - puppet parser validate file.pp (Validate the syntax of one or more
    Puppet manifests).

    - puppet-lint file.pp (Check that your Puppet manifest conform to the
    style guide) this one must installed using gems package manager: gem
    install puppet-lint
    That's exactly what I was looking for =)

    Check all .pp files in a directory
    find -name '*.pp' | xargs -n 1 -t puppet parser validate
    find -name '*.pp' | xargs -n 1 -t puppet-lint
    Didn't knew about the "-n 1" trick instead of making a loop =)

    Hugs,
    Sandra

  • Sandra Schlichting at Aug 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm

    I first use vim-puppet (syntax highlighting for puppet manifests in
    vim while creating my manifest) To create my manifests
    Btw. How do you install that?

    I have tried

    mkdir .vim
    cd .vim
    git clone https://github.com/rodjek/vim-puppet.git
    cd
    echo "set runtimepath+=$HOME/.vim/vim-puppet" > .vimrc

  • Dan White at Aug 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm
    The author of vim-puppet says in the README that they use something called "pathogen" to manage their vim modules.

    I found this: https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen

    Otherwise, it looks like one would have to pick apart the innards on vim-puppet to understand it enough to install it by other means.

    Good like. I hope this helps.

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    I first use vim-puppet (syntax highlighting for puppet manifests in
    vim while creating my manifest) To create my manifests

    Btw. How do you install that?

    I have tried

    mkdir .vim
    cd .vim
    git clone https://github.com/rodjek/vim-puppet.git
    cd
    echo "set runtimepath+=$HOME/.vim/vim-puppet" > .vimrc

  • Ramin K at Aug 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm

    The author of vim-puppet says in the README that they use something called "pathogen" to manage their vim modules.

    I found this: https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen
    If vim is your primary editing environment install vim-pathogen, takes
    two minutes, and be done. Allows vim to load dirs out of ~/.vim/bundle/
    and I usually git clone new vim plugins directly into it. Well worth the
    time to not dig through .vim/syntax|ftplugin|etc|etc directories.

    Ramin

  • Dan White at Aug 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm

    The author of vim-puppet says in the README that they use something called "pathogen" to manage their vim modules.

    I found this: https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen
    If vim is your primary editing environment install vim-pathogen, takes
    two minutes, and be done. Allows vim to load dirs out of ~/.vim/bundle/
    and I usually git clone new vim plugins directly into it. Well worth the
    time to not dig through .vim/syntax|ftplugin|etc|etc directories.

    Ramin
    I plan to try it out. It looks like a good utility.

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Jakov Sosic at Aug 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm

    The author of vim-puppet says in the README that they use something
    called "pathogen" to manage their vim modules.

    I found this: https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen
    If vim is your primary editing environment install vim-pathogen,
    takes two minutes, and be done. Allows vim to load dirs out of
    ~/.vim/bundle/ and I usually git clone new vim plugins directly into it.
    Well worth the time to not dig through .vim/syntax|ftplugin|etc|etc
    directories.
    Yeah.

    I use pathogen + syntastic.

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Juan Sierra Pons at Aug 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm
    Hi

    I installed it from puppetlabs repositories (in debian):

    Package: vim-puppet
    Source: puppet
    Version: 2.7.19-1puppetlabs1
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: Puppet Labs <info@puppetlabs.com>
    Installed-Size: 332
    Recommends: vim-addon-manager
    Conflicts: puppet (<< 2.7.19-1puppetlabs1)
    Section: admin
    The vim-puppet package provides filetype detection and syntax highlighting for
    puppet manifests (files ending with ".pp").
    Filename: pool/squeeze/main/p/puppet/vim-puppet_2.7.19-1puppetlabs1_all.deb
    MD5sum: 9a02b144f442b7980e419d26baac09b7
    SHA1: 1ff9022b0f416a8cb38bbca3ad0eddbceadd6074
    SHA256: bf64cfb4cf9c2711659db7d97c63b380290076c1008eb962c92b2b9b377de658
    Size: 260222

    So I suppose it must be packaged for other dists: CentOS, RedHat, etc

    Best regards

  • Sandra Schlichting at Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

    Yes, you may either use it as an Eclipse plugin or as a standalone
    program.
    [snip]

    That sounds interesting.

    How do I do that? =)

  • Henrik Lindberg at Aug 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm