Hi All,

I'm trying to write some plugins that should only be sync'd if they're for a specific platform. For example, in our environment we're supporting Solaris, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and Mac OS X. We've developed some OS X plugins and some Solaris plugins but we've noticed that our Linux hosts have imported our OS X plugins and now throw errors each time the agent is started

Aug 20 17:30:53 hostname puppet-agent[29934]: (/File[/var/lib/puppet/lib/puppet/type/sysctl.rb]/ensure) defined content as '{md5}0ba25754548630344738a7959fea2bb8'
Aug 20 17:30:53 hostname puppet-agent[29934]: (/File[/var/lib/puppet/lib/puppet/provider/x_policy]/ensure) created
Aug 20 17:30:53 hostname puppet-agent[29934]: (/File[/var/lib/puppet/lib/puppet/provider/x_policy/x_mcx.rb]/ensure) defined content as '{md5}5ea505d684d7c4b401950927e1680d04'
Aug 20 17:30:53 hostname puppet-agent[29934]: Could not load downloaded file /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/mac_console_users.rb: no such file to load -- osx/cocoa
Aug 20 17:30:53 hostname puppet-agent[29934]: Could not load fact file /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/mac_console_users.rb: no such file to load -- osx/cocoa

Am I missing something? Is there a way to stop this from happening?

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  • Jeff McCune at Aug 21, 2012 at 1:06 am

    I'm trying to write some plugins that should only be sync'd if they're for
    a specific platform. For example, in our environment we're supporting
    Solaris, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and Mac OS X. We've developed some OS X
    plugins and some Solaris plugins but we've noticed that our Linux hosts
    have imported our OS X plugins and now throw errors each time the agent is
    started

    Plugins are always synced, regardless of platform. What types of plugins
    are you developing?

    The best way to deal with this is to deactivate the provider or fact on
    systems that don't support the behavior.

    -Jeff

  • James A. Peltier at Aug 21, 2012 at 1:37 am

    I'm trying to write some plugins that should only be sync'd if
    they're for a specific platform. For example, in our environment
    we're supporting Solaris, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and Mac OS X.
    We've
    developed some OS X plugins and some Solaris plugins but we've
    noticed that our Linux hosts have imported our OS X plugins and now
    throw errors each time the agent is started
    Plugins are always synced, regardless of platform. What types of
    plugins are you developing?
    The best way to deal with this is to deactivate the provider or fact
    on systems that don't support the behavior.
    -Jeff

    How do I go about deactivating providers and facts specific to platforms?

    --

    James A. Peltier
    Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
    Phone : 778-782-6573
    Fax : 778-782-3045
    E-Mail : jpeltier@sfu.ca
    Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
    http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
    in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  • James A. Peltier at Aug 21, 2012 at 1:54 am

    I'm trying to write some plugins that should only be sync'd if
    they're for a specific platform. For example, in our environment
    we're supporting Solaris, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and Mac OS X.
    We've
    developed some OS X plugins and some Solaris plugins but we've
    noticed that our Linux hosts have imported our OS X plugins and
    now
    throw errors each time the agent is started
    Plugins are always synced, regardless of platform. What types of
    plugins are you developing?
    The best way to deal with this is to deactivate the provider or
    fact
    on systems that don't support the behavior.
    -Jeff
    We've developed a set of plugins for managing Macs entirely via
    puppet. The providers are available here
    https://github.com/dayglojesus/x_types We're also making extensive
    use of already available modules.
    How do I go about deactivating providers and facts specific to
    platforms?
    --
    James A. Peltier
    Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
    Phone : 778-782-6573
    Fax : 778-782-3045
    E-Mail : jpeltier@sfu.ca
    Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
    http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has
    reached
    in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T.
    Washington
    Never mind. I suspect that you're referring to the confine :operatingsystem => :darwin or the likes

    --

    James A. Peltier
    Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
    Phone : 778-782-6573
    Fax : 778-782-3045
    E-Mail : jpeltier@sfu.ca
    Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
    http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
    in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  • Jeff McCune at Aug 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm
    Yes, the confine system should work well for this situation.

    -Jeff