I just setup PuppetDB with PostgreSQL and Puppet Dashboard on the same
machine as my puppet master that was about 25 nodes. When I start/restart
the puppet-dashboard service via /etc/init/d (Ubuntu12.04 btw) The
inventory works perfectly on the dashboard. However, any activity on the
dashboard results in writing to the screen on my putty terminal. So if I
close that putty session, dashboard still seems to work as usual, but under
Inventory on a node it shows input/output error. If I open another putty
window and check status of the dashboard service, is shows running. If I
then restart it, the inventory starts working again.

Dashboard says you can detach with '-d' but you can't call the /etc/init.d
script with a -d and adding it to the script itself doesn't seem to work
either. How should be starting/restarting dashboard so that I can detach
so everything stays running when I log out.

Also, I don't see any errors in dashboard or db log.

Thanks!

  • Tsuave at Aug 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm
    Also, if I try to stop the service from said putty session (the one that
    the output is being sent to, I get this error:

    * Stopping Puppet Dashboard
    [2012-08-20 09:42:21] ERROR
    SignalException: SIGTERM
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:91:in `select'

    I did find, however, that if I start the service with:
    puppet resource service puppet-dashboard ensure=running enable=true
    The dashboard will start and inventory will work even when puty is closed
    as the output is no longer sent to the terminal (since puppet started it
    and not my root instance)
    The problem is solved, but I am still curious how to detach when using the
    init.d scripts.

  • Jonauman at Aug 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    Hi,

    FIrst, sorry for not sending a patch file. I did not save the original init.d scripts before I hacked it.
    I also had the same issues on debian. Here's what I did to resolve it:

    1) add "-s INT" to the stop and stop portion of the restart functions. The default is to send a term signal, but you need to send kill or int signal to get it to go away.

    stop)
    log_daemon_msg "Stopping Puppet Dashboard"
    if start-stop-daemon --stop -s INT --quiet --oknodo --pidfile ${PIDFILE} --user ${DASHBOARD_USER} --retry 10; then

    2) Remove the & in the start script and replace with -d. This will prevent all the messages going to console.

    start_puppet_dashboard() {
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --make-pidfile --pidfile ${PIDFILE} --user ${DASHBOARD_USER} --chuid ${DASHBOARD_USER} --exec ${DASHBOARD_RUBY} -- ${DASHBOARD_HOME}/script/server -e ${DASHBOARD_ENVIRONMENT} -p ${DASHBOARD_PORT} -b ${DASHBOARD_IFACE} -d

    3) I commented out check_puppet_dashboard_status in start_puppet_dashboard() function since it was giving bogus failure messages.

    I also had issues with the init script killing the puppetmaster as well but leaving its pid file, but that seemed to go away once I daemonized the dashboard. Not sure why the two were tied together.

    Hope that helps.

    -Jon