Seems like nodes are matching the default node before they are
matching the more specific nodes. My site.pp has:

include "nodes/*.pp"

In the nodes directory are two files, default.pp and nagios_server.pp.

default.pp:
node default {
include role::common
}

nagios_server.pp:
node 'mon01.us1.xxx.com' {
$node_env = "production"
include nagios::plugins
include nagios::server
}

Puppet is finding the default on mon01.us1.xxx.com. If I comment out
the lines in default.pp, it goes to mon01.us1.bitcasa.com. Shouldn't
it use the default node last?

Doug.

  • Garrett Honeycutt at Aug 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm

    Seems like nodes are matching the default node before they are
    matching the more specific nodes. My site.pp has:

    include "nodes/*.pp"

    In the nodes directory are two files, default.pp and nagios_server.pp.

    default.pp:
    node default {
    include role::common
    }

    nagios_server.pp:
    node 'mon01.us1.xxx.com' {
    $node_env = "production"
    include nagios::plugins
    include nagios::server
    }

    Puppet is finding the default on mon01.us1.xxx.com. If I comment out
    the lines in default.pp, it goes to mon01.us1.bitcasa.com. Shouldn't
    it use the default node last?

    Doug.
    Not directly answering your question here, though I wanted to share this
    with everyone. If you use a manifest to contain your node
    classification, they should all be in the site.pp without an import
    statement. Some time ago we saw a slow down around two orders of
    magnitude by having to deal with a ton of files caused by one file per node.

    -g

    --
    Garrett Honeycutt

    206.414.8658
    http://puppetlabs.com

  • Stuart Cracraft at Aug 18, 2012 at 12:47 am
    Doug: I hope you are wrong about that as it would be a bad non-explicit, very Ruby-like choice of indirectness
    for controlling and detailing what should be plain-and-simple and Iowa-like.

    Stuart
    Seems like nodes are matching the default node before they are
    matching the more specific nodes. My site.pp has:

    include "nodes/*.pp"

    In the nodes directory are two files, default.pp and nagios_server.pp.

    default.pp:
    node default {
    include role::common
    }

    nagios_server.pp:
    node 'mon01.us1.xxx.com' {
    $node_env = "production"
    include nagios::plugins
    include nagios::server
    }

    Puppet is finding the default on mon01.us1.xxx.com. If I comment out
    the lines in default.pp, it goes to mon01.us1.bitcasa.com. Shouldn't
    it use the default node last?

    Doug.

  • Douglas Garstang at Aug 18, 2012 at 12:49 am
    Totally lost.
[...]

    http://www.linkedin.com/in/garstang
    Email: doug.garstang@gmail.com
    Cell: +1-805-340-5627

  • Jcbollinger at Aug 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm

    Seems like nodes are matching the default node before they are
    matching the more specific nodes. My site.pp has:

    include "nodes/*.pp"

    Do you mean "import" where you wrote "include"? Because "import" is what
    you should be using for this purpose.

    In the nodes directory are two files, default.pp and nagios_server.pp.

    default.pp:
    node default {
    include role::common
    }

    nagios_server.pp:
    node 'mon01.us1.xxx.com' {
    $node_env = "production"
    include nagios::plugins
    include nagios::server
    }

    Puppet is finding the default on mon01.us1.xxx.com. If I comment out
    the lines in default.pp, it goes to mon01.us1.bitcasa.com. Shouldn't
    it use the default node last?

    Generally speaking, yes, it should. If you're really using "include"
    instead of "import", however, then I'm a bit surprised that it even
    compiles. If you're using "import" then nothing you posted explains the
    (mis)behavior you describe.

    John