Hi All,

Recently Puppet (2.7.18 / RHEL 6.3) has started to hang when the listen parameter is turned on. I've tried rolling back several versions of Puppet as well as rolling back Ruby so as to try and figure out if it was a recent update that did it, but to no avail.

strace on the puppet pid shows the following

rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
select(7, [5 6], [], [], {1, 999999}) = 0 (Timeout)
select(7, [5 6], [], [], {0, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
select(7, [6], [], [], {0, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
select(7, [5 6], [], [], {1, 999999} <unfinished ...>

This sounds an awful lot like http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12185 but it doesn't chew up any CPU time, it just sits there and loops the above strace over and over again. Telnet to 8139 doesn't work either. Ideas?

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  • Miguel Di Ciurcio Filho at Aug 15, 2012 at 1:33 am

    Recently Puppet (2.7.18 / RHEL 6.3) has started to hang when the listen parameter is turned on. I've tried rolling back several versions of Puppet as well as rolling back Ruby so as to try and figure out if it was a recent update that did it, but to no avail.
    I've have the same problem, but on Ubuntu 10.04 or Debian Squeeze.
    Puppet randomly hangs and becomes zombie when listen is turned on.

    Regards,

    Miguel

  • James A. Peltier at Aug 16, 2012 at 3:46 am
    I guess there's no answer on this one?
[...]

  • Eric Sorenson at Aug 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm
    Hi James, there's a couple of related bugs on this that would be great to
    have help tracking down.

    - Bug #10418 seemed to implicate kernel version but I think you're outside
    the early Centos/RHEL5.x affected list -- what does 'uname -a' show on your
    systems?
    - Recent activity on #10418 seems (confusingly, to me) to implicate recent
    Facter upgrades -- what facter version are you running? Has it updated
    recently?
    - Some folks on the bug you referenced (#12185) said they had leap-second
    bug fallout; does the 'date fix' here help a problematic
    system? http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12185#note-27
    - Does setting listen=false consistently fix your systems?

    Feel free to hop on #puppet and ping me (eric0) for faster turnaround.

    Eric Sorenson - eric.sorenson@puppetlabs.com
    PuppetConf'12 - 27-28 Sep in SF - http://bit.ly/pcsig12

    E-Mail : jpel...@sfu.ca <javascript:>