Hi readers,

I am having trouble understanding the puppet user= configuration setting in
the puppet.conf file. If puppet is configured to run as "puppet" by
default, how can puppet execute system configuration settings? installing
packages etc. is done basically by root and root only, so does that mean
that puppet is normally limited in the things it can perform?

I did not find anything in the docs regarding this, so please help me out
here.

thanks in advance & greetings,
Axel.

  • Andrew Hendry at Aug 10, 2012 at 11:43 am
    Hi,

    user= is for the puppetmaster user which does not need to run as root.

    Regards,
    Andrew