I have two versions of Ruby on my servers. One that is used for Puppet and
system scripts (Ruby 1.8.7) and then one which is a custom package I built
running the latest Ruby 1.9.3. This is used for the Ruby/Rails applications
that are being developed by our dev team. Is there a way for Puppet to
control the gems installed by both of these gem versions? I need a way to
spin up systems with no user input, right now thats not possible without
this. Is subclassing the gem provider the only way or is there a more clean
way to set path with the current gem provider. I was looking in the gem.rb
provider source and didn't see a way there.

Thanks,
Ron

  • Nan Liu at Aug 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm

    I have two versions of Ruby on my servers. One that is used for Puppet and
    system scripts (Ruby 1.8.7) and then one which is a custom package I built
    running the latest Ruby 1.9.3. This is used for the Ruby/Rails applications
    that are being developed by our dev team. Is there a way for Puppet to
    control the gems installed by both of these gem versions? I need a way to
    spin up systems with no user input, right now thats not possible without
    this. Is subclassing the gem provider the only way or is there a more clean
    way to set path with the current gem provider. I was looking in the gem.rb
    provider source and didn't see a way there.
    Yeah, that's the only way I'm aware of. The code is only a few lines,
    and we have a pe_gem example:
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-pe_gem

    The bigger problem is you can't have duplicate package names, so you
    either need to two environments or separate manifests if you wish to
    manage the same gems in 1.8.7 and 1.9. There's no way to install in
    one puppet run at the moment.

    Thanks,

    Nan

  • Ron at Aug 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm
    Thanks for the update, I am assuming I need pluginsync in order for this to
    work properly.
    I will test it out, still some limitations with this approach as you stated.

    No good way as of yet to handle multiple gem versions. Of course this is a
    moot point once Puppet 3 is released and linked to Ruby 1.9.3.
    Then I will only have a single version of Ruby to manage.

    Thanks,
    Ron