Hello readers,

I might have the need for something like "delete all unmanaged files".
Explanation: I am creating a bunch of apache config files, which contain
information about the hostname and the port they're listening on. Now if I
change the host name - or the port - the last generated file keeps sitting
there, and does nothing in the best case (rarely ;), and provokes errors in
all others.

Now because _all_ config files in those directories are generated by me &
puppet I wondered if there's a method to find out which files are _not_
genereated by puppet, and simply delete them.

Any ideas, anyone? :)
Thanks in advance,
Axel.

  • Calvin Walton at Aug 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

    I might have the need for something like "delete all unmanaged files".
    Explanation: I am creating a bunch of apache config files, which contain
    information about the hostname and the port they're listening on. Now if I
    change the host name - or the port - the last generated file keeps sitting
    there, and does nothing in the best case (rarely ;), and provokes errors in
    all others.

    Now because _all_ config files in those directories are generated by me &
    puppet I wondered if there's a method to find out which files are _not_
    genereated by puppet, and simply delete them.
    This is pretty easy to do; the functionality is built into puppet. You
    just have to add a File resource for the directory, and set recurse =>
    true, purge => true, like so:

    file { '/etc/apache/sites-enabled':
    ensure => 'directory',
    recurse => true,
    purge => true,
    }

    Make sure you read the documentation for details:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#file

    --
    Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@kepstin.ca>

  • Axel Bock at Aug 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm