All,

Is there a way to run puppet and specify to apply resources NOT
containing a tag?

ie, negating something like this?

puppetd --tags solaris

The use case for this is to put a tag in our application code so that
when running puppet we know changes made there will NOT be enacted.
The only way I can see to do it is to do the opposite.... put a tag
indicating it isn't our code everywher else and run puppetd WITH the
tag, which isn't as maintainable.

Doug

  • Douglas Garstang at Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm
    Anyone? Anyone?

    Sent from my iPhone
    Is there a way to run puppet and specify to apply resources NOT
    containing a tag?

    ie, negating something like this?

    puppetd --tags solaris

    The use case for this is to put a tag in our application code so that
    when running puppet we know changes made there will NOT be enacted.
    The only way I can see to do it is to do the opposite.... put a tag
    indicating it isn't our code everywher else and run puppetd WITH the
    tag, which isn't as maintainable.

    Doug
  • Peter Brown at Aug 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm
    I don't think the tag system was designed to be used like that.
    Have you checked all the docs?
    Is there a way to run puppet and specify to apply resources NOT
    containing a tag?

    ie, negating something like this?

    puppetd --tags solaris

    The use case for this is to put a tag in our application code so that
    when running puppet we know changes made there will NOT be enacted.
    The only way I can see to do it is to do the opposite.... put a tag
    indicating it isn't our code everywher else and run puppetd WITH the
    tag, which isn't as maintainable.

    Doug
  • Douglas Garstang at Aug 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm
    Well that sucks,
    I don't think the tag system was designed to be used like that.
    Have you checked all the docs?
    Is there a way to run puppet and specify to apply resources NOT
    containing a tag?

    ie, negating something like this?

    puppetd --tags solaris

    The use case for this is to put a tag in our application code so that
    when running puppet we know changes made there will NOT be enacted.
    The only way I can see to do it is to do the opposite.... put a tag
    indicating it isn't our code everywher else and run puppetd WITH the
    tag, which isn't as maintainable.

    Doug

    Douglas Garstang
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/garstang