I have a new Ubuntu LTS VM running a simple manifest directly with puppet
apply.
About one time in 5 strace reports that puppet is sat there waiting on a
select operation with low cpu usage.

I'm wondering if this implies it's somehow gone into agent/deamon mode.

Also just wondering if this is a puppet or a ruby/OS/VM issue.
And why I cannot find anyone else with the same issue.
I cannot imagine it's the manifest. It does one file check and two notifies.

  • Joe Topjian at Jul 26, 2012 at 9:46 pm
    And why I cannot find anyone else with the same issue.
    This sounds very similar, if not the same issue, that I have run into many
    times before.

    It happens during a simple "puppet apply". I always run apply with
    --verbose, and since there is no output at all, I figure the command has
    just hung.

    Similarly, running strace on the process results in an infinite output of
    select.

    ctrl-c does not kill the process - I have to kill the PID from another
    terminal.

    I cannot reproduce this issue at will -- it seems to happen randomly.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    --
    Joe Topjian
    Systems Administrator

    www.cybera.ca

    Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
    innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
    of cyberinfrastructure.

  • David c at Jul 29, 2012 at 10:28 pm
    So it looks (without an in depth comparison) to be this bug in the bug
    tracking tool.
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/13038
    So maybe this is already solved. Just need to wait* for the 2.7.12 or later
    version of pupet to make it to the debian packages for Ubuntu then I should
    be able to test.

    *yes, I'm being lazy.

    Though it looks like it's quite a few versions behind, with current latest
    being 2.7.18, so maybe I'll have to install it the hard way, or work out
    how to install the previous package, or keep on with "kill -9" for now...
    sigh.

[...]

  • Joe Topjian at Jul 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm
    Hi David,
    So it looks (without an in depth comparison) to be this bug in the bug
    tracking tool.
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/13038
    Indeed this is it. Thank you for the link.

    So maybe this is already solved. Just need to wait* for the 2.7.12 or
    later version of pupet to make it to the debian packages for Ubuntu then
    I should be able to test.
    It's very disappointing / frustrating that Ubuntu LTS stocks 2.7.11 by
    default. :/

    Thanks,
    Joe

    --
    Joe Topjian
    Systems Administrator
    Cybera Inc.

    www.cybera.ca

    Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
    innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
    of cyberinfrastructure.

  • Christopher Wood at Jul 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm
    (inline)
    [2]http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/13038

    Indeed this is it. Thank you for the link.

    So maybe this is already solved. Just need to wait* for the 2.7.12 or
    later version of pupet�to make it to the debian packages for Ubuntu then
    I should be able to test.

    It's very disappointing / frustrating that Ubuntu LTS stocks 2.7.11 by
    default. :/
    I didn't have any difficulty replacing the version in Ubuntu 10.04 with the version in Debian Squeeze. (Albeit that I rebuilt the package from the source deb.) It helped me get "puppet kick" going everywhere.

    Thanks,
    Joe
    --
    Joe Topjian