I notice that many components of puppet do not scale well and are not
intended for large environment. For example, stored config and
inventory service. In order to scale, we need to use puppetDB, right?
Another example is the webrick, and which should be replaced by a
decent web server such as apache. All these need a lot of new
installation of pieces of software and configurations.

My question is why the designer of puppet did not consider this and
integrate everything into a complete solution at the beginning, rather
than having us have to reconfigure everything by hand. Who will use
puppet if he has only 50 nodes?

--
Hai Tao

  • Christopher Wood at Jul 25, 2012 at 9:02 pm
    Sounds like you should be talking to your managers about buying Puppet Enterprise.
    I notice that many components of puppet do not scale well and are not
    intended for large environment. For example, stored config and
    inventory service. In order to scale, we need to use puppetDB, right?
    Another example is the webrick, and which should be replaced by a
    decent web server such as apache. All these need a lot of new
    installation of pieces of software and configurations.

    My question is why the designer of puppet did not consider this and
    integrate everything into a complete solution at the beginning, rather
    than having us have to reconfigure everything by hand. Who will use
    puppet if he has only 50 nodes?

    --
    Hai Tao

  • Hai Tao at Jul 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm
    I see. so it is on purpose to make it not easy to use so the
    enterprise can be sold? :)

    On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Christopher Wood
    Sounds like you should be talking to your managers about buying Puppet Enterprise.
    I notice that many components of puppet do not scale well and are not
    intended for large environment. For example, stored config and
    inventory service. In order to scale, we need to use puppetDB, right?
    Another example is the webrick, and which should be replaced by a
    decent web server such as apache. All these need a lot of new
    installation of pieces of software and configurations.

    My question is why the designer of puppet did not consider this and
    integrate everything into a complete solution at the beginning, rather
    than having us have to reconfigure everything by hand. Who will use
    puppet if he has only 50 nodes?

    --
    Hai Tao

    Hai Tao

  • Christopher Wood at Jul 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm

    I see. so it is on purpose to make it not easy to use so the
    enterprise can be sold? :)
    There are different skill levels at different tasks in the enterprise space, and it is legitimate that some organizations are better off with a prefabbed installer for a configuration management system.

    I've created a puppet installation of reasonable complexity without puppet enterprise, but that is possibly just me:

    $ cd files/puppet/svn/prod/trunk
    $ ls manifests/nodes | wc -l
    43
    $ find modules -name "*pp" | wc -l
    174

    That's not to say I don't salivate a bit at the thought of Puppet Enterprise, but my budget of $0 doesn't help there. Or perhaps a career-long $0 budget has helped, in that I'm more used to building from components instead of buying the package. People who are more used to buying than building may be better off with a different situation than mine.
    On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Christopher Wood
    Sounds like you should be talking to your managers about buying Puppet Enterprise.
    I notice that many components of puppet do not scale well and are not
    intended for large environment. For example, stored config and
    inventory service. In order to scale, we need to use puppetDB, right?
    Another example is the webrick, and which should be replaced by a
    decent web server such as apache. All these need a lot of new
    installation of pieces of software and configurations.

    My question is why the designer of puppet did not consider this and
    integrate everything into a complete solution at the beginning, rather
    than having us have to reconfigure everything by hand. Who will use
    puppet if he has only 50 nodes?

    --
    Hai Tao

    Hai Tao

  • Stuart Cracraft at Jul 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm
    Hey, Chris: so that begs the question, do you think you have some "secret"
    or are just
    happier with fewer flashy gui's, more install/deployment scripts, and so
    forth.

    In other words, do you think the scaling of Open Puppet is adequate to
    scale much larger
    without the flash?

    Or, is there something fundamentally holding back Open Puppet from handling
    thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of nodes, in your
    opinion?

    Cheers,
    Stuart
[...]

  • Ashley Penney at Jul 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm
    I have heard from various other puppet users of Open Puppet
    installations of tens of thousands of nodes (at least last I heard,
    there's probably people with more) so it definitely scales that high.
    Generally they've had to restrict themselves on some features or
    sometimes use Puppet in slightly strange ways to improve scaling, but
    people are definitely doing it today.

    The flash you get from PE just makes things easier. Most of us
    started with a fairly small Puppet trial and over time developed
    modules to build up an entire puppet infrastructure. I have a fairly
    (badly) written module that installs puppetmasters, sets up repos,
    hiera, databases, everything needed to fully deploy a relatively
    scalable Puppet infrastructure. I think there's a lot of us out
    there, maybe a few of us should get together, share what we have, and
    try to build a combined module that people can use to help bootstrap
    and scale.

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
  • Christopher Wood at Jul 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm

    Hey, Chris: so that begs the question, do you think you have some "secret"
    or are just
    happier with fewer flashy gui's, more install/deployment scripts, and so
    forth.
    No actual secret. I'm happier with the command line and text configuration files (though a GUI absolutely has its place). I prefer interpreted (or shell) based installers so that I can tell what's going on, or going wrong. Of course, this may have as much to do with how my mind works as the amount of practice I've had in different computing ecosystems (because, again, $0 budget). Just because these things are good for me doesn't automatically mean they're good for other people with other talents.
    In other words, do you think the scaling of Open Puppet is adequate to
    scale much larger
    without the flash?
    Yes, I do.
    Or, is there something fundamentally holding back Open Puppet from
    handling
    thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of nodes, in your
    opinion?
    But then, it's not just puppet that people are scaling. If somebody thinks that they're going to point 100k nodes at a single virtual machine running puppet and have everything work at 99.999% uptime, they're making a mistake. (The same mistake that we've all seen for mail, radius, dns, et cetera.) Even if that works, are they willing to lose a cluster's configuration management if a single VM goes down? So now we have multiple puppet servers. Unix-like directories get slow when we add hundreds of thousands of directory entries. Let's stop tossing our node definitions in a single directory. How do we keep the certificates in sync? Now we have a system to sync certs. Can our switches handle the load of all that network traffic? Let's make sure we have redundant switches in our network core. Do we really want every server to depend on one set of puppetmasters? Let's break things out into pods. Can't keep the pods in sync? Maybe centralized is the way to go. Your whole datacentre checks into the puppetmaster at the same time every hour? It's time to spread thousands of requests out over the 3600 seconds you have in each hour, or add more backend puppetmasters or check in less often. There's a ton more of these scaling items.

    In short: scaling puppet is about more than puppet. The puppet component is ready to compile a catalog from your manifests and send it to the node, yes. Every other layer has to be ready to scale up in support of that goal.
    Cheers,
    Stuart