All,
I have found very few references to this error so I'm guessing I must be
doing something wrong. I have just started using hiera and am trying to use
it in the simplest way possible, I have a class that looks like this:

class app_users2($compresslogs = hiera('compresslogs')) {

#Setup Cronjob for compressing app logs

if $compresslogs == "true" {

file { "/etc/cron.daily/copyLogs.cron":

mode => "750",

ensure => present,

alias => "compresslogscron",

source => "puppet:///modules/app_users2/copyLogs.sh"

For the node I'm running this on, hiera returns 'true' for that value when
I test it out:

$ hiera -c hiera.yaml compresslogs loc="sd" type="app"
true

I am using the yaml hiera backend and the yaml file this is configured in
looks like this:

---
family : prod
cluster : prod
compresslogs : true

However, when I try to execute the manifests either on the host or test
them using cucumber-puppet I get the following error:

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
can't convert Symbol into String at
/etc/puppet/modules/app_users2/manifests/init.pp:2 on node xyz

I have tried quoting, unquoting the data in the yaml file & in the
conditional in the class. I've tried calling hiera as a parameter to the
class, also just as part of the conditional ( if hiera('compresslogs') ==
true ) etc. It appears that anytime I try to reference that value from
puppet it throws this error.

I have found a few references in IRC logs to others having this problem but
they all stated "Oh, I figured it out" without explaining how - so I'm a
bit stuck.

I am running the following hiera versions on the puppetmaster:

hiera-puppet-1.0.0-0.1rc1.el5
hiera-1.0.0-0.1rc3.el5

And the puppetmaster is running puppet v. 2.7.6.-2. I also tried updating
the puppet version on my host running cucumber-puppet to 2.7.18 and it
continues to throw this error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

  • Danie van Zyl at Oct 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm
    Have you tried,

    ---
    family: "prod"
    cluster: "prod"