Hi all,

I have this question which have been nagging me for a while now. The live
management features in the PE allows one to manage the resources on the fly
without having to the need to write manifests. The users can clone / update
/ manage resources in any way permitted they want. How does this works with
the manifests that are written by the users?

Lets say my site.pp have node definition that says to include the nginx
class for node A. Then I would use the live management to clone the
resources for the nginx class from node A to node B and C. How will this
reflect into my manifests as I already have node A, B and C defined in my
site.pp?

Hope this is clear enough.

  • Daniel Sauble at Jul 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm
    We make a distinction between resources managed with Puppet manifests and
    resources managed with Live Management. Puppet manifests enforce a
    particular state whenever puppet is run, while Live Management enforces a
    state once--when cloning is performed. There isn't any overlap. Live
    Management cannot be used to clone resources that are already managed with
    Puppet manifests, and the manifests themselves aren't changed when
    resources are cloned.

    Hope this helps!
    - Daniel
    I have this question which have been nagging me for a while now. The live
    management features in the PE allows one to manage the resources on the fly
    without having to the need to write manifests. The users can clone / update
    / manage resources in any way permitted they want. How does this works with
    the manifests that are written by the users?

    Lets say my site.pp have node definition that says to include the nginx
    class for node A. Then I would use the live management to clone the
    resources for the nginx class from node A to node B and C. How will this
    reflect into my manifests as I already have node A, B and C defined in my
    site.pp?

    Hope this is clear enough.

  • Choon Ming Goh at Jul 24, 2012 at 2:47 am
    Is there anyway to make it overlap or there simply isnt any? From what I
    can assume, if a user manages a resource via Live Management and wants it
    to be in the manifests, the user must remember or must put it in on their
    own accord?