I'm using the empty function to test whether an array passed to my
defined type is empty (it's a function to set up network interfaces
and their routes if passed an array of routes). Unfortunately, I get
this error when trying to use the empty() function:

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
SERVER: Function 'empty' does not return a value at /etc/puppet/
modules/netif/manifests/init.pp:78 on node [REDACTED]t
warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

Relevant code snippet is here:

define netif::interface ( $ifaddr = "", $slaves = [] , $onboot =
"yes", $onparent = "yes" , $mtu = "" , $routes = undef)
{

# switch on interface name
case $name {
# catch alias first since it might match other stuff
/^.*:.*$/ : {
netif::alias { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,
# regular ethernet interface.
/^eth\d+$/ : {
netif::eth { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,
# vlan ethernet interface.
/^eth\d+\.\d+$/ : {
netif::eth_vlan { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,
# regular ib interface.
/^ib\d+$/ : {
netif::ib { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,
# partitioned ib interface.
/^ib\d+\.\d+$/ : {
netif::ib_pkey { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,
# bridge interface
/^br\d+$/ : {
netif::br { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,
slaves => $slaves ,
# tap interface
/^tap\d+$/ : {
netif::tap { $name :
ifaddr => $ifaddr ,

# default case do nothing
default : { notify {"netif: interface type ${name} not
found.":} }
}

# make route file
if !empty($routes) {