Will Puppet ever enable the modeling of higher level resources (than node).
I'd like to model a multi-node application/service or even many
applications/services that sometimes connect. I guess I'm thinking
something along the lines of cloudformation but in puppet such that the DAG
would extend out from the node and be connected as needed. Or, should
something like cloudformation, glu, etc always be a separate layer?

Also, would it make sense at some point to have node-level changes
immediately kick off changes in other nodes (perhaps via MCollective) as
opposed to using exported resources and scheduled puppet runs to implement
changes? IOW, something like a file resource subscribing to an event such
that changes on another node that relate are immediately triggered instead
of waiting for a puppet run.

Just trying to work out some thoughts floating in my head. :)

Kind Regards,
Mark

  • Brian Gupta at Jul 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm

    Will Puppet ever enable the modeling of higher level resources (than node).
    I'd like to model a multi-node application/service or even many
    applications/services that sometimes connect. I guess I'm thinking something
    along the lines of cloudformation but in puppet such that the DAG would
    extend out from the node and be connected as needed. Or, should something
    like cloudformation, glu, etc always be a separate layer?
    I can't speak for Puppetlabs, but I would imagine that at some point
    service orchestration is something they should want to tackle, by
    building something on top of mcollective and puppetdb, but for now,
    the options I am aware of (In no particular order):

    1) Glu http://linkedin.github.com/glu/docs/latest/html/tutorial.html
    2) KermIT http://kermit.fr/kermit/
    3) Juju https://juju.ubuntu.com/
    4) Foreman-stacker https://github.com/ohadlevy/stacker (Not sure the status).
    5) CloudFormation (AWS specific)
    6) http://rundeck.org/

    I just saw a talk on Juju, and it looks pretty interesting..
    (Interesting enough, that I will be testing it in the lab.)

    Cheers,
    Brian