Hi All,

Is there a feasibility for creating subgroups on the Puppet Dashboard?
Basically the requirement is that we have a huge number of VMs running
designated services. Some of VMs having the same service may yet have
different properties configured on them. We are exploring the feasibility
of having these properties managed through puppet. Currently all these VMs
are put into a single group on the Puppet Dashboard and have global
properties configured on the dashboard.

Can I create a subgroup among these, and configure separate properties so
that when the Agent contacts the master, based on the subgroup it belongs
the corresponding property values are picked up (or else the default
entries are retained)???

Thank you,

Praveen

  • Calvin Walton at Jul 23, 2012 at 3:01 am

    Is there a feasibility for creating subgroups on the Puppet Dashboard?
    Basically the requirement is that we have a huge number of VMs running
    designated services. Some of VMs having the same service may yet have
    different properties configured on them. We are exploring the feasibility
    of having these properties managed through puppet. Currently all these VMs
    are put into a single group on the Puppet Dashboard and have global
    properties configured on the dashboard.

    Can I create a subgroup among these, and configure separate properties so
    that when the Agent contacts the master, based on the subgroup it belongs
    the corresponding property values are picked up (or else the default
    entries are retained)???
    Yes, you can. It's quite simple:

    Create a new group for your sub-group, then in the "Groups" field, enter
    the name of the parent group.

    The new subgroup then inherits all of the properties and classes from
    the parent group, and you can override properties by entering new values
    for them in the subgroup.

    You can also override individual properties by setting them on the node
    directly, in case you have a one-off situation.

    --
    Calvin Walton
    Blindside Networks http://www.blindsidenetworks.com/

  • Praveen Shivashankar at Jul 24, 2012 at 8:54 am
    @Calvin:

    Thanks for the inputs. I had infact fixed it a few days ago. I created a
    new group and inherited the parent class into it. After that I defined a
    parameter with the same name as was in the "All Nodes" section and over rid
    the value in this new group. Now all the nodes added to the group use the
    new value and the older value defined earlier has sort of become default in
    nature, if nothing is specified.

    - Praveen