I started doing some experiments with the configuration option 'thin_storeconfigs=true' by adding this option to one of my Puppet masters. However, I could not determine any change in behavior. I expected to have the resources collected faster, but Puppet still takes some 15min to do the job. So maybe I misunderstood something. Should this option instead be placed in the client's configuration to make them export only the @@-resources?

Couldn't find any documentation. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bernd

  • Denmat at Jul 12, 2012 at 10:01 am
    Hi,

    Thin_storeconfig stores less detail in the database, that won't necessarily speed it up but will reduce its footprint.

    The actual differences I'm a bit fuzzy on.

    Den
    I started doing some experiments with the configuration option 'thin_storeconfigs=true' by adding this option to one of my Puppet masters. However, I could not determine any change in behavior. I expected to have the resources collected faster, but Puppet still takes some 15min to do the job. So maybe I misunderstood something. Should this option instead be placed in the client's configuration to make them export only the @@-resources?

    Couldn't find any documentation. So any help is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Bernd

  • Walter Heck at Jul 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    Thin stored configs only store exported resources in the database Instead
    of all resources. There may be more differences though.

    Sent from my galaxy tab
    Thin_storeconfig stores less detail in the database, that won't
    necessarily speed it up but will reduce its footprint.

    The actual differences I'm a bit fuzzy on.

    Den
    I started doing some experiments with the configuration option
    'thin_storeconfigs=true' by adding this option to one of my Puppet masters.
    However, I could not determine any change in behavior. I expected to have
    the resources collected faster, but Puppet still takes some 15min to do the
    job. So maybe I misunderstood something. Should this option instead be
    placed in the client's configuration to make them export only the
    @@-resources?
    Couldn't find any documentation. So any help is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Bernd

  • Jcbollinger at Jul 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

    Should [thin_storeconfigs] instead be placed in the client's configuration
    to make them export only the @@-resources?
    No, (thin_)storeconfigs is a function of the master, at catalog compilation
    time.

    John

  • Jcbollinger at Jul 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm