Hello Puppet Users,

I need a puppet master (Ubuntu) to push the executable files to the agent
(windows 7) and install those executables

I believe the manifest file should be set up to push such config to the
windows agent. I came up with something like this:

class wireshark {
exec { 'wireshark':
command => 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe,
node homebasic32.test.com {
include wireshark
}

According to my understanding, this manifest file will execute already
existing Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe file on windows. I cannot figure out how
to make the master to push this file to windows first.

Please help!

Great thanks!!!

  • Josh Cooper at Jul 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    Hi,
    I need a puppet master (Ubuntu) to push the executable files to the agent
    (windows 7) and install those executables

    I believe the manifest file should be set up to push such config to the
    windows agent. I came up with something like this:

    class wireshark {
    exec { 'wireshark':
    command => 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe,
    Need an ending quote above.
    node homebasic32.test.com {
    include wireshark
    }

    According to my understanding, this manifest file will execute already
    existing Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe file on windows. I cannot figure out how
    to make the master to push this file to windows first.

    Please help!

    Great thanks!!!

    You will want to declare a file resource whose source refers back to
    your 'wireshark' module on your puppetmaster:

    file { 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe':
    ensure => present,
    source => 'puppet:///modules/wireshark/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe',
    }

    Then place the Wireshark executable on the puppetmaster, e.g.
    /etc/puppetlabs/modules/wireshark/files/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe,
    with the appropriate executable mode, e.g. 0750.

    When the Puppet agent applies the catalog, it will download the file
    if necessary, and then execute it. However, as currently written,
    Puppet will execute the wireshark installer every time it runs. You
    will need to use the `onlyif` or `creates` parameters for your exec
    resource so that Puppet performs the exec if wireshark is not
    installed.[1] For example, `creates => 'C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Wireshark\wireshark.exe'`

    Finally, we are working on updating the package provider to support
    non-MSI types, such as NullSoft that Wireshark uses.[2]

    Josh

    [1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/stable/type.html#exec
    [2] https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/11870

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

  • Viktoriya Tochilnikova at Jul 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm
    I have followed you suggestions for placing the file on windows and got following error. Pls advise!!!

    ================================
    C:\Program Files\Puppet Labs\Puppet Enterprise\bin>puppet agent --test --server
    qalab2.pertino.com
    info: Caching catalog for homebasic32.pertino.com
    info: Applying configuration version '1341864702'
    err: /Stage[main]//File[C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe]: Coul
    d not evaluate: Error 400 on SERVER: Not authorized to call find on /file_metada
    ta/puppet/modules/wsh/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe Could not retrieve file metadata
    for puppet:///puppet/modules/wsh/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe: Error 400 on SERVER
    : Not authorized to call find on /file_metadata/puppet/modules/wsh/Wireshark-win
    32-1.8.0.exe at /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp:8
    notice: Finished catalog run in 0.23 seconds
    ================================

    Viktoriya

    ________________________________
[...]

  • Viktoriya Tochilnikova at Jul 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm
    Here is my file:

    file { 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe':
    ensure => present,
    source => 'puppet:///puppet/modules/wsh/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe',
    }

    Viktoriya

    ________________________________
[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jul 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm
    Hi Viktoriya,
    file { 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe':
    ensure => present,
    source => 'puppet:///puppet/modules/wsh/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe',
    The source needs to be 'puppet:///modules/wsh/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe'
    }

    Viktoriya

    ________________________________
[...]

  • Viktoriya Tochilnikova at Jul 9, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    Josh,
    This is what I got this time, after fixing the source path. Pls help. Great Thanks!
    C:\Program Files\Puppet Labs\Puppet Enterprise\bin>puppet agent --test --server
    qalab2.pertino.com
    info: Caching catalog for homebasic32.pertino.com
    info: Applying configuration version '1341867021'
    err: /Stage[main]//File[C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe]: Coul
    d not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production sourc
    e(s) puppet:///modules/wsh/Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe at /etc/puppet/manifests/si
    te.pp:8
    notice: Finished catalog run in 0.20 seconds

    Viktoriya

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Viktoriya Tochilnikova at Jul 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm
    I have figured it out and got it to work - my executable is getting placed on win machine. Great thanks, Josh.
    How, I need to execute it. Here is my executable:

    exec { 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe':
    creates => 'C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe'
    }

    Is this correct?

    Viktoriya

    ________________________________

    Re: [Puppet Users] manifest for files executable on windows
    Hi,
[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jul 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm
    Hi Viktoriya,
    I have figured it out and got it to work - my executable is getting placed
    on win machine. Great thanks, Josh.
    How, I need to execute it. Here is my executable:

    exec { 'C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe':
    creates => 'C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe'
    }

    Is this correct?
    Yes, looks good provided 'C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe' is
    the correct path for the installed executable.

    If you run into issues, try adding the `logoutput => true` parameter
    to the exec resource.
    Viktoriya

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Viktoriya Tochilnikova at Jul 9, 2012 at 10:16 pm
    I got an error with/without logoutput:

    C:\Program Files\Puppet Labs\Puppet Enterprise\bin>puppet agent --test --server
    qalab2.pertino.com
    info: Caching catalog for homebasic32.pertino.com
    info: Applying configuration version '1341871910'
    notice: /Stage[main]//File[C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe]/en
    sure: defined content as '{md5}1e791b80e0693e174c6666930b0728a9'
    err: /Stage[main]//Exec[C:\Users\vita\Downloads\Wireshark-win32-1.8.0.exe]/retur
    ns: change from notrun to 0 failed: CreateProcess() failed: The requested operat
    ion requires elevation.
    notice: Finished catalog run in 5.16 seconds
    What is wrong now?

    Thanks,

    Viktoriya

[...]

  • Viktoriya Tochilnikova at Jul 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm
    Josh,

    I need to push and install python.msi package on win host. Should I use "exec" block or "package" instead? I am not sure, pls confirm. THanks!

    Viktoriya