We have a test puppet environment where we use couchDB as a facts terminus.
We are thinking of using facter+couch as our new inventory system and would
like to be able to pull inventory without having to resolve puppet
configurations on our servers (we have very strict change management
procedures)
Is it possible to run puppet in an "inventory mode" and only update facts?
I appears that using --noop does not update the data in couchDB.

Thanks!

  • Dan Bode at Jul 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm

    We have a test puppet environment where we use couchDB as a facts
    terminus. We are thinking of using facter+couch as our new inventory system
    and would like to be able to pull inventory without having to resolve
    puppet configurations on our servers (we have very strict change management
    procedures)
    Is it possible to run puppet in an "inventory mode" and only update facts?
    I appears that using --noop does not update the data in couchDB.
    Have a look at facts upload.

    puppet help facts upload

    It can be run on the agents to just run facter and upload the facts to the
    master (using its rest terminus)

    Thanks!

  • ZJE at Jul 11, 2012 at 9:15 pm
    Thanks! That did the trick (and went to the configured couchDB)

    In case anyone comes across this later, I needed to also setup ACLs for
    /facts (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_auth_conf.html)

    I added this ACL above the default "path /"

    ---
    path /facts
    method save
    auth any