Hi Everyone,

I am relativly new to writing puppet modules, and am working to architecht
our puppet implementation. One of the questions I have, is rolling back a
puppet run. What are the best ways to accomplish this.

For instance, if I add a module to manage autofs, apply it to a server, and
then no longer want to manage autofs on the server, how would I make it so
that I can roll the server back to the unconfigured state?

Also, when managing local account using puppet, what are ideas to handle
the following case:Users A, B and C are added to all our servers. After
running for some time, we need to only remove User B.

I have read on multiple blogs about having !classes, but I want to try and
work towards using more of an industry standard and wanted to get other
peoples opinions.

Thanks!
Chuck

  • Brian Gupta at Jul 6, 2012 at 2:46 am

    I am relativly new to writing puppet modules, and am working to architecht
    our puppet implementation. One of the questions I have, is rolling back a
    puppet run. What are the best ways to accomplish this.

    For instance, if I add a module to manage autofs, apply it to a server, and
    then no longer want to manage autofs on the server, how would I make it so
    that I can roll the server back to the unconfigured state?

    Also, when managing local account using puppet, what are ideas to handle the
    following case:Users A, B and C are added to all our servers. After running
    for some time, we need to only remove User B.

    I have read on multiple blogs about having !classes, but I want to try and
    work towards using more of an industry standard and wanted to get other
    peoples opinions.
    Puppet doesn't have any concept of rollback. You are declaring what
    you want as your end result. Also bear in mind puppet only manages
    resources that are in your manifests. (There are 10s of thousands of
    objects on a default OS install that are unmanaged, if you consider
    ever file, service, user or package that gets installed.)

    One example:

    If you had a manifest that didn't manage the user "testuser" and added
    a resource to manage it, it would go from "unmanaged" to managed, and
    create it if it didn't exist. If one were to roll back to a previous
    manifest that didn't have "testuser", the user would still exist on
    the system in an unmanaged state. In the puppet world if you want that
    removed, you have to continue managing that resource, but ensure that
    the resource in question is absent, or purged, using "ensure". e.g. -
    "ensure => absent"
    Thanks!
    Chuck

  • Ryan Bowlby at Jul 9, 2012 at 7:51 am
    I tend to expose the ensure related resource attributes as parameters that
    can be specified at the node level:

    class { "apache":
    package_ensure => "absent",
    }

    The natural evolution is to get to a point within the organization where
    reinstalling a host is no longer scary. If the provisioning process is
    working well you can likely do a rolling reinstall of the infrastructure to
    ensure against system "state drift". That's often much easier than
    attempting to write each module to support the arguably antiquated idea of
    rollbacks.

    -Ryan

    Hope Turnbull doesn't see this post, no more princess rape digressions. lol