I'm trying to get some docs using puppet doc, and I'd like to get the PDF
format.

So, following the example in 'puppet help doc' I did the following:

$ puppet doc -m pdf -r configuration
creating pdf
Could not run: wrong number of arguments (1 for 2)

Additionally, when I try to use an rdoc type I either am not getting any
output or can't find it.

$puppet doc -m rdoc --manifestdir /etc/puppet/environments/test/manifests/
--modulepath /etc/puppet/environments/test/modules/ --outputdir
/home/<snip>/puppetdoc/rdoc/ /etc/puppet/environments/test/manifests/

~/puppetdoc/rdoc$ ls -a
. ..

Trying this on my puppet master, which is running 2.7.14 on Lucid

What am I doing wrong?

  • Lorenzo Salvadorini at Jul 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm

    Additionally, when I try to use an rdoc type I either am not getting any
    output or can't find it.

    $puppet doc -m rdoc --manifestdir /etc/puppet/environments/test/manifests/
    --modulepath /etc/puppet/environments/test/modules/ --outputdir
    /home/<snip>/puppetdoc/rdoc/ /etc/puppet/environments/test/manifests/

    ~/puppetdoc/rdoc$ ls -a
    I update my documentation on an hourly basis with something like:

    /usr/bin/puppet doc --all --outputdir=$DOCDIR --mode rdoc
    --modulepath=$MODULEPATH

    Are you missing the --all parameter?

  • Llowder at Jul 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm
    Comments inline.
    Additionally, when I try to use an rdoc type I either am not getting any
    output or can't find it.

    $puppet doc -m rdoc --manifestdir
    /etc/puppet/environments/test/manifests/ --modulepath
    /etc/puppet/environments/test/modules/ --outputdir
    /home/<snip>/puppetdoc/rdoc/ /etc/puppet/environments/test/manifests/

    ~/puppetdoc/rdoc$ ls -a
    I update my documentation on an hourly basis with something like:

    /usr/bin/puppet doc --all --outputdir=$DOCDIR --mode rdoc
    --modulepath=$MODULEPATH

    Are you missing the --all parameter?
    It doesn't seem to matter if I use it or not, I still get no output when I
    use rdoc, and I get errors when I try to make PDFs. So far, only text
    seems able to generate anything.