Hi everyone, first post. I've got Puppet installed on a FreeBSD 8.3
client & server from the guides, and deploying simple packages from the
default node and a node which inherits it. I have /usr/ports mounted via
NFS from the puppet server.

I have two queries now:

1. For more complicated packages, a config dialogue comes up (i.e. cd
/usr/ports/category/port; make config). How do I automatically configure
that, with settings to my choosing?
I suppose I could push out the relevant /var/db/ports/port/options file
- is that recommended, or is there something better?

2. /usr/ports/distfiles/ doesn't always have the package files
available, especially if the given package isn't installed on the
server. This causes installation to fail. How should I go about
instructing the puppet server to cache those files? To do it manually:
cd /usr/ports/category/port; make fetch
Of course I don't want to do it manually!

Cheers,
Greg.

  • Gregory Orange at Jul 5, 2012 at 6:31 am

    I have /usr/ports mounted via NFS from the puppet server.

    1. For more complicated packages, a config dialogue comes up (i.e. cd
    /usr/ports/category/port; make config). How do I automatically configure
    that, with settings to my choosing?
    I suppose I could push out the relevant /var/db/ports/port/options file
    - is that recommended, or is there something better?
    I have successfully depended upon a latest version of the options file
    for my packages in testing, within the same package's class (sample
    below[1]). I think this is sufficient for now, although it might get
    curly when a single puppet package results in multiple FreeBSD
    ports/package installations.
    2. /usr/ports/distfiles/ doesn't always have the package files
    available, especially if the given package isn't installed on the
    server. This causes installation to fail. How should I go about
    instructing the puppet server to cache those files? To do it manually:
    cd /usr/ports/category/port; make fetch
    Of course I don't want to do it manually!
    I'm not sure I can expect puppet to perform the FreeBSD ports distfiles
    management I want here, so I'll look into some script-based automation
    that can pull down the distfiles as neeeded.

    Cheers,
    Greg.

    [1]
    class samplePackage {
    package { 'category/samplePackage':
    ensure => installed,
    require => Package[ "category/samplePackage-options" ]
    }
    package { 'category/samplePackage-options':
    ensure => latest,
    require => File[ "/var/db/ports/samplePackage/options" ]
    }
    file { "/var/db/ports/samplePackage": ensure => directory }
    file { "/var/db/ports/samplePackage/options":
    ensure => file,
    source => "puppet:///modules/samplePackage/options"