I have successfully set up an Apache/Passenger/Puppet(Master)-2.7.x on a RHEL 5 server and I now have some questions about what I have here.

In my work environment, I am part of a team of admins supporting a collection of web servers. These servers have various stacks on them with assorted combinations of Apache, PHP, Tomcat, JBoss, Cold Fusion, MySQL, Oracle, MovableType, and Goodness Knows What That I Have Not Yet Tripped Over.

My starting query is: How does Ruby on Rails compare to stacks built with the pieces mentioned ?
As I am using Apache/Passenger, I think that Apache itself is a non-issue, but I wonder about the rest.

Also, in its first incarnation, my puppet master lived on the same server as a Cobbler server.
Are there any issues relating to Passenger/Rails/Rack that would complicate putting Cobbler onto this new PuppetMaster ?

Thanks for all the help I get from this list.
I try to assist whenever I can.

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Denmat at Jun 28, 2012 at 10:39 pm
    Hi,

    Comments inline.
    I have successfully set up an Apache/Passenger/Puppet(Master)-2.7.x on a RHEL 5 server and I now have some questions about what I have here.

    In my work environment, I am part of a team of admins supporting a collection of web servers. These servers have various stacks on them with assorted combinations of Apache, PHP, Tomcat, JBoss, Cold Fusion, MySQL, Oracle, MovableType, and Goodness Knows What That I Have Not Yet Tripped Over.

    My starting query is: How does Ruby on Rails compare to stacks built with the pieces mentioned ?
    RoR is a application framework, more like JBoss I imagine.
    As I am using Apache/Passenger, I think that Apache itself is a non-issue, but I wonder about the rest.
    Apache/passenger is like mod_php - it helps apache serve ruby code like php helps apache serve php.
    Also, in its first incarnation, my puppet master lived on the same server as a Cobbler server.
    Are there any issues relating to Passenger/Rails/Rack that would complicate putting Cobbler onto this new PuppetMaster ?
    None that I'm aware, that's how we have it set up. It's just apache underneath. We also serve docs and yum repos from our master.

    --
    Den