Hi all,

I use a custom fact to determine and build custom reports on the version of
certain packages on a system. If the package is updated, the fact is not
updated during that run, falsely reporting the previous version until the
next puppet run. Is there a way to make facter facts update at the end of a
puppet run? Or is there something else I might be overlooking?

Let me know if any additional info is needed.

Thanks,
Zach

  • Felix Frank at Jun 22, 2012 at 11:27 am
    Hi,
    I use a custom fact to determine and build custom reports on the version
    of certain packages on a system. If the package is updated, the fact is
    not updated during that run, falsely reporting the previous version
    until the next puppet run. Is there a way to make facter facts update at
    the end of a puppet run? Or is there something else I might be overlooking?

    Let me know if any additional info is needed.

    Thanks,
    Zach
    This cannot really work. The reason is that facts are only sent once and
    used while the master compiles the catalog for the node. The catalog is
    sent to the agent, and it's the agent's responsibility to take action as
    required. These actions can indeed change facts. But as you correctly
    observed, this cannot influence the catalog being currently applied, but
    will only take effect on the next compilation instead.

    Hope this makes things more clear.

    Cheers,
    Felix

  • Denmat at Jun 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

[...]

    Awkward, but you could run a '--noop' in between or after normal runs.

    Other option is query via MCollective but that is extra setup.

    Den