Hello all,

I fairly new to puppet and google groups so I'll apologize in advance for
not conforming to "normal" posting methods.

I've recently installed puppetmaster on a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.04LTS and
after running: sudo puppet --configprint all, I get a long list of
parameters and values echoed back to my shell. My question is where do
these parameters and values come from? I've taken a look at my puppet.conf
file (which I believe is located in the proper place of:
/etc/puppet/puppet.conf) and it looks like this:

[main]
logdir=/var/log/puppet
vardir=/var/lib/puppet
ssldir=/var/lib/puppet/ssl
rundir=/var/run/puppet
factpath=$vardir/lib/facter
templatedir=$confdir/templates

[master]
# These are needed when the puppetmaster is run by passenger
# and can safely be removed if webrick is used.
ssl_client_header = SSL_CLIENT_S_DN
ssl_client_verify_header = SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY

Clearly these values of the ''--configprint -all" command are coming from
somewhere else and I can't seem to find the answer.

I've read that puppet will read values from a users home directory if the
puppet service is not running as root but I'm not sure that's something I
should be concerned with at the moment.

My thanks to everybody's help in advance.

Cheers,

Mike

  • Craig White at Jun 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

[...]

    ----
    --configprint will supplement anything not specifically configured in puppet.conf with its own defaults. Thus you can 'override' any of the defaults by specifically declaring them in the appropriate section of puppet.conf

    Craig

  • Mike Reed at Jun 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm
    Thank you for the reply Craig. That makes sense and points me in the right
    direction.

    Thanks again,

    Mike
[...]

  • Nick Fagerlund at Jun 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm