Installing my first Puppet master / client environment. All working
well so far, the master and client are communicating.

However it is not yet clear to me what triggers the client to pull from
the master. For instance, I can see evidence of the client having
executed the master's site.pp file on startup, but when I make a change
to site.pp the changes are not reflected in the client until I restart
the client's puppet process. I thought the Puppet client process would
periodically pull from the server?

Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.

Thanks,

Alex

  • R.I.Pienaar at Jun 14, 2012 at 8:42 am

    Installing my first Puppet master / client environment. All working
    well so far, the master and client are communicating.

    However it is not yet clear to me what triggers the client to pull
    from the master. For instance, I can see evidence of the client having
    executed the master's site.pp file on startup, but when I make a
    change to site.pp the changes are not reflected in the client until I
    restart the client's puppet process. I thought the Puppet client process
    would periodically pull from the server?

    Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.
    usually the agent runs every 30 minutes but thats configurable, you can
    look at 'puppet kick', mcollective to allow on demand triggering.

    if you ssh to a particular machine running 'puppet agent --test' will force
    a run and you'll see what its doing etc

  • Alex at Jun 14, 2012 at 9:16 am

    Installing my first Puppet master / client environment. All working
    well so far, the master and client are communicating.

    However it is not yet clear to me what triggers the client to pull
    from the master. For instance, I can see evidence of the client having
    executed the master's site.pp file on startup, but when I make a
    change to site.pp the changes are not reflected in the client until I
    restart the client's puppet process. I thought the Puppet client process
    would periodically pull from the server?

    Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.
    usually the agent runs every 30 minutes but thats configurable, you can
    look at 'puppet kick', mcollective to allow on demand triggering.

    if you ssh to a particular machine running 'puppet agent --test' will force
    a run and you'll see what its doing etc
    Indeed, I was being impatient. It worked after waiting. Thanks!

    Alex