I need to install postfix on a a debian system with puppet.
Unfortunately there are a lot of prompts. One way to deal with this
is, is: http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Debian_Preseed_Patterns.
Another way (apparently) is to give an answerfile in the package
resource declaration. (I have no idea how to do this)

e.g.:

echo postfix postfix/main_mailer_type        select  No configuration
debconf-set-selections
apt-get install -y postfix

However, I'd just like to deal with this stuff from within the package
resource declaration. Is there something simple I am missing?

I just want to install a single package install with noconfig, and
have puppet handle the rest.

Thanks,
Brian

  • Craig White at Jun 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm

    I need to install postfix on a a debian system with puppet.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of prompts. One way to deal with this
    is, is: http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Debian_Preseed_Patterns.
    Another way (apparently) is to give an answerfile in the package
    resource declaration. (I have no idea how to do this)

    e.g.:

    echo postfix postfix/main_mailer_type select No configuration
    debconf-set-selections
    apt-get install -y postfix

    However, I'd just like to deal with this stuff from within the package
    resource declaration. Is there something simple I am missing?

    I just want to install a single package install with noconfig, and
    have puppet handle the rest.
    ----
    I don't have an issue with postfix on Ubuntu which I am sure is the Debian packages... (note that for postfix, I use what I describe as a 'one-shot' configuration setup which doesn't actually maintain the configuration files once they are dropped into place). I never have had an issue with interactive configuration.

    # cat configure.pp
    # postfix::configure class
    #
    # Last update 07/20/2011
    #
    # Craig White
    #
    # configures postfix
    #
    class postfix::configure {
    file{"/etc/puppet/deployment_files/postfix-main.cf":
    ensure => present,
    owner => postfix,
    group => postfix,
    mode => 0664,
    content => template("postfix/main.cf.erb"),
    require => Class["postfix::install"],
    }
    exec{"Deploy postfix/main.cf from template":
    command => "/bin/cp /etc/postfix/main.cf /etc/postfix/main.cf-backup; /bin/cat /etc/puppet/deployment_files/postfix-main.cf > /etc/postfix/main.cf; /bin/touch /etc/puppet/deployment_files/postfix-main.cf-deployed",
    unless => "/bin/ls -l /etc/puppet/deployment_files/postfix-main.cf-deployed",
    require => [ File["/etc/puppet/deployment_files/postfix-main.cf"], Exec["/etc/mailname"] ],
    notify => Class["postfix::service"],
    }
    exec { "/etc/mailname":
    command => '/bin/echo `/bin/hostname`".ttiltd.com" > /etc/mailname',
    unless => '/bin/ls -l /etc/puppet/deployment_files/postfix-main.cf-deployed',
    require => Class["postfix::install"],
    notify => Class["postfix::service"],

    # cat install.pp
    # postfix::install class