Hello all,

I'm trying to install PE(2.5.1) on a fresh m1.large AWS instance (Centos).
I got the hostname entry on the hosts file setup (the installer wont run if
its not set). The installation starts using the answer file I provide and
everything seems fine until it gets to installing the console...

I've tried this on 4 different instances (fresh installs not even updates)
and it keeps crapping out on the same spot, i'm pasting the the last few
lines of the install log and appending the file too.

last few lines:

-- execute("ALTER TABLE reports ADD CONSTRAINT fk_reports_node_id FOREIGN KEY (node_id) REFERENCES nodes(id) ON DELETE CASCADE;")
-> 0.5053s
-- execute("ALTER TABLE resource_events ADD CONSTRAINT fk_resource_events_resource_status_id FOREIGN KEY (resource_status_id) REFERENCES resource_statuses(id) ON DELETE CASCADE;")
-> 0.0876s
-- execute("ALTER TABLE resource_statuses ADD CONSTRAINT fk_resource_statuses_report_id FOREIGN KEY (report_id) REFERENCES reports(id) ON DELETE CASCADE;")
-> 0.0921s
-- execute("ALTER TABLE report_logs ADD CONSTRAINT fk_report_logs_report_id FOREIGN KEY (report_id) REFERENCES reports(id) ON DELETE CASCADE;")
-> 0.0797s
-- execute("ALTER TABLE metrics ADD CONSTRAINT fk_metrics_report_id FOREIGN KEY (report_id) REFERENCES reports(id) ON DELETE CASCADE;")
-> 0.0883s
== AddReportForeignKeyConstraints: migrated (0.8708s) ========================

== RemoveUrlFromNodes: migrating =============================================
-- remove_column(:nodes, :url)
-> 0.1389s
== RemoveUrlFromNodes: migrated (0.1391s) ====================================

** chown -Rvf puppet-dashboard:puppet-dashboard /var/log/pe-puppet-dashboard/*
changed ownership of `/var/log/pe-puppet-dashboard/development.log' to puppet-dashboard:puppet-dashboard
changed ownership of `/var/log/pe-puppet-dashboard/production.log' to puppet-dashboard:puppet-dashboard
** cd /opt/puppet/share/console-auth; PATH=/opt/puppet/sbin:/opt/puppet/bin:$PATH rake db:migrate
rake aborted!
Access denied for user 'auth_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
/opt/puppet/share/console-auth/Rakefile:105
(in /opt/puppet/share/console-auth)

  • Jeff McCune at Jun 13, 2012 at 9:19 pm
    It could be the localhost name isn't resolving as the PE installer
    expects it to.

    Could you please paste the /etc/hosts file from the instance you're
    installing on?

    Also, I'm happy to try and diagnose this directly, could you let me
    know the AMI ID you're using and what EC2 zone you're in? If you do a
    copy of the answers file with passwords redacted would be a great help
    to me quickly reproducing the issue.

    We definitely shouldn't be bombing out like this and I'd really like
    to fix this as soon as possible.

    Thanks,
    -Jeff