I've been moving from extlookup to hiera, and it's generally gone fairly smoothly, but I've run into a problem with one of our defines ...

I get this error:
err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: can't convert Array into String at ...

The define uses an exec to install Perl CPAN modules and sets log output based on a hiera lookup.
exec{"cpan_load_${title}":
< cut …>
logoutput => hiera('cpan_logoutput'),
}

If I remove that line, everything runs through fine.

The yaml for hiera:
---
cpan_logoutput: true

Any ideas on what could be triggering this error?

  • Wolf Noble at Jun 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm
    I had some issues with using boolean logic with data being fed to me by hiera. I went for a slightly hacky option of:

    might help you, might be a BadIdea(™)

    (untested)

    class foo::params{
    bool_to_be_tempname = hiera('some_TorF_key_as_a_string')
    case bool_to_be_tempname {
    [tT][rR][uU][eE]: {
    bool_to_be = true
    }
    default: {
    bool_to_be = false

    I've been moving from extlookup to hiera, and it's generally gone fairly smoothly, but I've run into a problem with one of our defines ...

    I get this error:
    err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: can't convert Array into String at ...

    The define uses an exec to install Perl CPAN modules and sets log output based on a hiera lookup.
    exec{"cpan_load_${title}":
    < cut …>
    logoutput => hiera('cpan_logoutput'),
    }

    If I remove that line, everything runs through fine.

    The yaml for hiera:
    ---
    cpan_logoutput: true

    Any ideas on what could be triggering this error?

    ________________________________

    This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message. See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.

  • Michael Knox at Jun 14, 2012 at 5:51 am
    Thanks,
    It appears to be something internal to the hiera function, so I'll have to go digging in there to find out what's going on.

    Cheers
[...]

  • Kelsey Hightower at Jun 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm

    It appears to be something internal to the hiera function, so I'll have to
    go digging in there to find out what's going on.

    Cheers

    Are you in position to **test** the 1.0rc branches of hiera and
    hiera-puppet?

[...]

  • Michael Knox at Jun 26, 2012 at 5:14 am

    It appears to be something internal to the hiera function, so I'll have to go digging in there to find out what's going on.

    Cheers

    Are you in position to **test** the 1.0rc branches of hiera and hiera-puppet?
    Just tried them, unfortunately I got exactly the same error….
    err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: can't convert Array into String at

    --trace on the client (using puppet agent) hasn't given me anything useful.

    I can extract the data using on the server using hiera, so it would seem to be something in the puppet functions. Hopefully I'll be able to spend some time and look at the functions in a bit more detail soon.