Hello Everyone;

I am stuck...

I am testing creating virtual resources and having no luck at all. I am
not getting any errors when I execute puppet agent --test but, the user
account is never getting created. I would be so grateful if anyone would
be kind enough to offer some advice.

(virtual.pp)
class user::virtual
{
@user {"john": ensure => present}
@user {"graham": ensure => present}
@user {"steven":}
}

class user::developers
{
realize( User["graham"],
User["steven"] )
}

node 'default' {
include test
include motd
include user::virtual
include user::developers
}

Thanks in advance!

  • Jeff McCune at Jun 6, 2012 at 11:38 pm

    I am testing creating virtual resources and having no luck at all.  I am not
    getting any errors when I execute puppet agent --test but, the user account
    is never getting created.  I would be so grateful if anyone would be kind
    enough to offer some advice.
    What version of Puppet?

    -Jeff

  • Worker Bee at Jun 6, 2012 at 11:46 pm
    2.7.9..

    I am testing creating virtual resources and having no luck at all. I am not
    getting any errors when I execute puppet agent --test but, the user account
    is never getting created. I would be so grateful if anyone would be kind
    enough to offer some advice.
    What version of Puppet?

    -Jeff

  • Walter Heck at Jun 7, 2012 at 1:12 am
    We usually choose to inherit the developers class from the virtual
    class, have you tried that approach?

    --
    Check out my startup: Puppet training and consulting @ http://www.olindata.com
    Follow @olindata on Twitter and/or 'Like' our Facebook page at

  • Walter Heck at Jun 7, 2012 at 8:18 am
    The other option is to move the include virtual to inside the
    user::developers class.
[...]

  • Felix Frank at Jun 7, 2012 at 8:30 am

    The other option is to move the include virtual to inside the
    user::developers class.
    We usually choose to inherit the developers class from the virtual
    class, have you tried that approach?
    Are you implying a parse order dependency?

    That should not be the case. I've yet to see any evidence for this
    happening.

    The theory is: If a virtual resource X is declared *anywhere* in a given
    node's manifest, realizing it will add it to the catalog.

    Regards,
    Felix

  • Jcbollinger at Jun 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm