FAQ
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what config setting generates the yaml output in /
var/lib/puppet/yaml/node?

I'm getting output in /var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts but not node.

This is puppet v3.rc2 and I've specified report = true all over the
place but nothing is being produced (except of course in /var/lib/
puppet/reports as you'd expect).

Cheers,
Den

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Search Discussions

  • Denmat at Jun 4, 2012 at 10:48 am
    Think I might be already answering my own question but it appears that
    this is a change in v3 - have downgraded to v2.7 and it appears.

    However I did find this while grep'ing through the source code of v3,

    puppet node find node2.mylocal --terminus plain --render-as yaml

    It appears very similar in output but haven't diff'd against it.

    Den
    On Jun 4, 8:35 pm, denmat wrote:
    Hi all,

    Can anyone tell me what config setting generates the yaml output in /
    var/lib/puppet/yaml/node?

    I'm getting output in /var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts but not node.

    This is puppet v3.rc2 and I've specified report = true all over the
    place but nothing is being produced (except of course in /var/lib/
    puppet/reports as you'd expect).

    Cheers,
    Den
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Jeff McCune at Jun 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm

    On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:48 AM, denmat wrote:
    Think I might be already answering my own question but it appears that
    this is a change in v3 - have downgraded to v2.7 and it appears.
    In Puppet 2.7 this is handled by the save method called on the node
    instance of Puppet::Node::Yaml which is a subclass of
    Puppet::Indirector::Yaml.

    The method that actually writes the node cache file to disk is
    implemented in the Puppet::Indirector::Yaml class here:

    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/master/lib/puppet/indirector/yaml.rb#L41-47

    This save method is called on the master before the catalog is
    returned to the agent.

    I'm not sure why we're not writing this node cache in Puppet 3.x, but
    it may be a performance optimization because this is a synchronous
    write operation called in line while the agent is blocked waiting for
    a catalog to be returned.

    What are you trying to do with the node cache? Perhaps there's
    another approach in Puppet 3.x.

    For more detail, here's the point where the node cache is written to
    disk in Puppet 2.7. As you can see, this is happening in-line with
    the HTTP request so it's a bit of a performance concern for us.

    --> #0 Puppet::Indirector::Yaml.save(request#Puppet::Indirector::R...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/yaml.rb:34
    #1 Puppet::Indirector::Indirection.expire(key#String)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/indirection.rb:182
    #2 Puppet::Node::Facts::NodeExpirer.save(instance#Puppet::Node::Facts,
    key#NilClass,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/node/facts.rb:19
    #3 Puppet::Resource::Catalog::Compiler.extract_facts_from_request(request#Puppet::Indirector::R...,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/catalog/compiler.rb:26
    #4 Puppet::Resource::Catalog::Compiler.find(request#Puppet::Indirector::R...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/catalog/compiler.rb:31
    #5 Puppet::Indirector::Indirection.find
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/indirection.rb:196
    #6 Puppet::Network::HTTP::Handler.do_find(indirection_name#String,
    key#String, params#Hash,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:109
    #7 Kernel.send(request#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    response#WEBrick::HTTPResponse, indirection#String,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:68
    #8 Puppet::Network::HTTP::Handler.to_s(request#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    response#WEBrick::HTTPResponse,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:68
    #9 Puppet::Network::HTTP::WEBrickREST.service(request#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    response#WEBrick::HTTPResponse,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/webrick/rest.rb:24
    #10 WEBrick::HTTPServer.service(req#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    res#WEBrick::HTTPResponse,...)
    at line /Users/jeff/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p334/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104
    #11 WEBrick::HTTPServer.run(sock#OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket)
    at line /Users/jeff/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p334/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65
    #12 Proc.listen(sock#OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/webrick.rb:45
    #13 WEBrick::GenericServer.start_thread(sock#OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket)
    at line /Users/jeff/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p334/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173

    Cheers,
    -Jeff

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Denmat at Jun 4, 2012 at 11:34 pm
    Thanks Jeff,

    Cucumber-puppet uses those files as input for testing. That's the only
    reason I noticed. So in this case, if I can use the puppet node find
    command I can populate the yaml directories for cucumber.
    On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Jeff McCune wrote:
    On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:48 AM, denmat wrote:
    Think I might be already answering my own question but it appears that
    this is a change in v3 - have downgraded to v2.7 and it appears.
    In Puppet 2.7 this is handled by the save method called on the node
    instance of Puppet::Node::Yaml which is a subclass of
    Puppet::Indirector::Yaml.

    The method that actually writes the node cache file to disk is
    implemented in the Puppet::Indirector::Yaml class here:

    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/master/lib/puppet/indirector/yaml.rb#L41-47

    This save method is called on the master before the catalog is
    returned to the agent.

    I'm not sure why we're not writing this node cache in Puppet 3.x, but
    it may be a performance optimization because this is a synchronous
    write operation called in line while the agent is blocked waiting for
    a catalog to be returned.

    What are you trying to do with the node cache?  Perhaps there's
    another approach in Puppet 3.x.

    For more detail, here's the point where the node cache is written to
    disk in Puppet 2.7.  As you can see, this is happening in-line with
    the HTTP request so it's a bit of a performance concern for us.

    --> #0 Puppet::Indirector::Yaml.save(request#Puppet::Indirector::R...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/yaml.rb:34
    #1 Puppet::Indirector::Indirection.expire(key#String)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/indirection.rb:182
    #2 Puppet::Node::Facts::NodeExpirer.save(instance#Puppet::Node::Facts,
    key#NilClass,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/node/facts.rb:19
    #3 Puppet::Resource::Catalog::Compiler.extract_facts_from_request(request#Puppet::Indirector::R...,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/catalog/compiler.rb:26
    #4 Puppet::Resource::Catalog::Compiler.find(request#Puppet::Indirector::R...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/catalog/compiler.rb:31
    #5 Puppet::Indirector::Indirection.find
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/indirector/indirection.rb:196
    #6 Puppet::Network::HTTP::Handler.do_find(indirection_name#String,
    key#String, params#Hash,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:109
    #7 Kernel.send(request#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    response#WEBrick::HTTPResponse, indirection#String,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:68
    #8 Puppet::Network::HTTP::Handler.to_s(request#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    response#WEBrick::HTTPResponse,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:68
    #9 Puppet::Network::HTTP::WEBrickREST.service(request#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    response#WEBrick::HTTPResponse,...)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/webrick/rest.rb:24
    #10 WEBrick::HTTPServer.service(req#WEBrick::HTTPRequest,
    res#WEBrick::HTTPResponse,...)
    at line /Users/jeff/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p334/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104
    #11 WEBrick::HTTPServer.run(sock#OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket)
    at line /Users/jeff/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p334/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65
    #12 Proc.listen(sock#OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket)
    at line /vagrant/src/puppet/lib/puppet/network/http/webrick.rb:45
    #13 WEBrick::GenericServer.start_thread(sock#OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket)
    at line /Users/jeff/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p334/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173

    Cheers,
    -Jeff

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedJun 4, '12 at 10:35a
activeJun 4, '12 at 11:34p
posts4
users2
websitepuppetlabs.com

2 users in discussion

Denmat: 3 posts Jeff McCune: 1 post

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase