Ubuntu Lucid has a very outdated puppet, 0.25.4

according to:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html#for-debian-and-ubuntu

I did this to "enable the repository":

wget http://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb

but this still does not result in installing an up to date puppet

apt-get remove puppet
apt-get install puppet

Setting up puppet (0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7) .

I tried installing via gems:

sudo gem install puppet

which does give:

Successfully installed puppet-2.7.14

but /usr/bin/puppet -V still gives 0.25.4

If I apt-get remove puppet then there is no longer a /usr/bin/puppet at all
and there is no puppet on my path.

I find something on a pastebin somewhere:

/bin/ln -s /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/puppet /usr/bin/puppet

but surely this can't be the recommended way to install.

or am I supposed to have /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/ on my path ?

gems was installed with:

apt-get install rubygems

Obviously I'm not a ruby person, and I've just read the rubygems docs
regarding versions and why its not on the path. ("onerous")

But how is puppet supposed to use it, what is recommended practice ?
I don't want it on MY path since it won't be my user running the puppet
agent.
Its already tedious installing puppet on each server in this fashion.

thanks for any advice !

http://pastebin.com/UGqdE7rL

  • Martin Alfke at May 22, 2012 at 11:48 am
    Hi,
    Ubuntu Lucid has a very outdated puppet, 0.25.4

    according to:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html#for-debian-and-ubuntu

    I did this to "enable the repository":

    wget http://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb

    but this still does not result in installing an up to date puppet

    apt-get remove puppet
    apt-get install puppet
    Did you run
    apt-get update
    after enabling the puppetlabs repository?

    What versions are shown when running
    apt-cache policy puppet
    ?

    Regards,

    Martin
[...]

  • Felix at May 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    ah ! thanks

    before:

    puppet:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7
    Version table:
    0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    0.25.4-2ubuntu6 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

    after apt-get update

    puppet:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 2.7.14-1puppetlabs1
    Version table:
    2.7.14-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.13-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.12-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.11-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.9-1puppetlabs3 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.9-1puppetlabs2 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.8-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.7-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.7.6-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    2.6.14-1puppetlabs1 0
    500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
    0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    0.25.4-2ubuntu6 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

    though I think I might stick with the rubygems install as I have gotten
    that to work now.

    its the lucid version of rubygems that doesn't fully work, so I installed
    that from source:

    cd /usr/local/src
    sudo wget http://production.cf.rubygems.org/rubygems/rubygems-1.5.2.tgz
    sudo tar -xzf rubygems-1.5.2.tgz
    cd rubygems-1.5.2
    sudo ruby setup.rb
    sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gem gem /usr/bin/gem1.8 1
    sudo gem update --system

    and now re-installing the gem seems to have installed puppet puppetd
    puppetmaster etc in /usr/bin/

    but maybe sticking with the package manager is better ?
    it seems like ruby community doesn't work so well with the standard package
    managers,
    and gems are more up to date.

    some of my machines are approaching end of life for lucid.

    but then one of the goals of using puppet is to make it easy to jump to a
    new machine.

[...]

  • Michael Stahnke at May 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm