Hi all,

I've set up a Puppet environment with a master managing around 80
agents. I would like to set a limit on the number of agents that can
be performing puppet runs at any given moment...so, for example, if
there are already 3 puppet runs ongoing, the 4th agent should be put
on hold until one of the 3 runs finishes.

Is there a way to configure this? It would be perfect if it can be set
within node groups.

Thanks,
Karim

  • Vlad at May 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm
    For a similar scenario I use mcollective
    <http://puppetlabs.com/mcollective/introduction/>with puppetd agent<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/AgentPuppetd> and
    puppet commander<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/ToolPuppetcommander>

    It will evenly spread the agent's runs in the given interval with the given
    concurrency.
    I've set up a Puppet environment with a master managing around 80
    agents. I would like to set a limit on the number of agents that can
    be performing puppet runs at any given moment...so, for example, if
    there are already 3 puppet runs ongoing, the 4th agent should be put
    on hold until one of the 3 runs finishes.

    Is there a way to configure this? It would be perfect if it can be set
    within node groups.

    Thanks,
    Karim
  • Karim at May 21, 2012 at 7:55 am
    Thanks a bunch. Seems like I have some research to do :-)
    For a similar scenario I use mcollective
    <http://puppetlabs.com/mcollective/introduction/>with puppetd agent<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/Agen...> and