I wrote a custom fact called "xen_total_memory" that pulls the xen memory from xm info:

require 'facter/util/memory'

begin
xen_total_memory = `xm info`.grep(/total_memory/).to_s.split(/:/)[1].lstrip.chomp
rescue
xen_total_memory = ""
end

Facter.add('xen_total_memory') do
confine :kernel => [ :linux, :"gnu/kfreebsd" ]
setcode do
xen_total_memory
end
end

Then I wrote another custom fact, similar to this one, except this time it looks for free memory:

require 'facter/util/memory'

begin
xen_free_memory = `xm info`.grep(/free_memory/).to_s.split(/:/)[1].lstrip.chomp
rescue
xen_free_memory = ""
end

Facter.add('xen_free_memory') do
confine :kernel => [ :linux, :"gnu/kfreebsd" ]
setcode do
xen_free_memory
end
end

For some reason, I couldn't see in mco with "moo facts xen_free_memory". I took another look and found that I messed up on the file extension, so I corrected it. So at this point, they are mostly the same:

LAPDTOP:facter rilindo$ diff xen_free_memory.rb xen_total_memory.rb
4c4
< xen_free_memory = `xm info`.grep(/free_memory/).to_s.split(/:/)[1].lstrip.chomp
---
xen_total_memory = `xm info`.grep(/total_memory/).to_s.split(/:/)[1].lstrip.chomp
6c6
< xen_free_memory = ""
---
xen_total_memory = ""
9c9
< Facter.add('xen_free_memory') do
---
Facter.add('xen_total_memory') do
12c12
< xen_free_memory
---
xen_total_memory
Yet, the problem persists.

Curious thing is that I can confirm that I can see the fact being loaded by puppet and if you run it manually, it does populate the facts.yaml file. The agent is just not inserting it during its runs.

The other custom facts are being loaded, so I am stumped.

- Rilindo