I wanted to quickly make a reminder on mailing list etiquette:

* Don't top post (quote inline)
* Use plain text formatting (this works best for those with CLI mail clients)
* Try to limit the length/size of signatures, disclosure notices
* Don't insult others
* Attempt to limit cross-posting with other lists

We don't have clear community guidelines or formal policy around this.
I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks for understanding,

Michael Stahnke
Community Manager

  • Christopher Wood at May 15, 2012 at 9:15 pm
    I wrote my "odd behaviour on file ensure => absent" in an hurried, off-the-cuff manner and I apologize if it was off. (I noticed you posted this right after my post.)
    I wanted to quickly make a reminder on mailing list etiquette:

    * Don't top post (quote inline)
    * Use plain text formatting (this works best for those with CLI mail clients)
    * Try to limit the length/size of signatures, disclosure notices
    * Don't insult others
    * Attempt to limit cross-posting with other lists

    We don't have clear community guidelines or formal policy around this.
    I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

    Thanks for understanding,

    Michael Stahnke
    Community Manager

  • Michael Stahnke at May 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

    I wrote my "odd behaviour on file ensure => absent" in an hurried, off-the-cuff manner and I apologize if it was off. (I noticed you posted this right after my post.)
    It had nothing to do with your specific post. This was just a chore
    that needed to go out. Our list has grown quite a bit, so a gentle
    reminder is a good thing.

    I wanted to quickly make a reminder on mailing list etiquette:

    * Don't top post (quote inline)
    * Use plain text formatting (this works best for those with CLI mail clients)
    * Try to limit the length/size of signatures, disclosure notices
    * Don't insult others
    * Attempt to limit cross-posting with other lists

    We don't have clear community guidelines or formal policy around this.
    I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

    Thanks for understanding,

    Michael Stahnke
    Community Manager

  • Trevor Vaughan at May 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    I'm going to have to push back a bit at the no top posting with the
    same reasoning as described here:
    https://lopsa.org/content/top-posting-vs-bottom-posting-stop-tilting-windmills.

    Especially since most mobile mail clients top-post, it's going to be
    difficult to get this one to stick.

    I personally prefer it so that I don't have to scroll past hundreds of lines of:

    "You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en."

    If you're directly responding to something non-obvious, I do think
    that copying the relevant material up is nice but that you shouldn't
    lose the rest of the conversation for those poor folks who may be
    using Mutt as their primary mail reader (or some other non-threading
    reader).

    My $.02

    Thanks,

    Trevor
    I wanted to quickly make a reminder on mailing list etiquette:

    * Don't top post (quote inline)
    * Use plain text formatting (this works best for those with CLI mail clients)
    * Try to limit the length/size of signatures, disclosure notices
    * Don't insult others
    * Attempt to limit cross-posting with other lists

    We don't have clear community guidelines or formal policy around this.
    I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

    Thanks for understanding,

    Michael Stahnke
    Community Manager

    Trevor Vaughan
    Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
    (410) 541-6699
    tvaughan@onyxpoint.com

  • R.I.Pienaar at May 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

[...]

    I tend to agree top posting does sometimes make sense, my main pain point is
    HTML mail which makes it hard to reply sanely for users who choose not to use
    HTML mail clients or who choose to disable that feature.

  • Trevor Vaughan at May 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm
    I'll agree with R.I. here that HTML e-mail should be forbidden from
    the web where possible.
[...]

  • De at May 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm
    Michael, just a heads up. The IRC channel seems flooded with irrelevant
    chatter to Puppet. I'd expect that the behavior I saw from EFNet, but not
    Freenode. For example, I asked a related question, the reply was F-bomb,
    gringo, F-bomb. Kinda funny, but can sour someone else less amused.
    I wanted to quickly make a reminder on mailing list etiquette:

    * Don't top post (quote inline)
    * Use plain text formatting (this works best for those with CLI mail
    clients)
    * Try to limit the length/size of signatures, disclosure notices
    * Don't insult others
    * Attempt to limit cross-posting with other lists

    We don't have clear community guidelines or formal policy around this.
    I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

    Thanks for understanding,

    Michael Stahnke
    Community Manager
  • Michael Stahnke at May 17, 2012 at 12:58 am

    Michael, just a heads up. The IRC channel seems flooded with irrelevant
    chatter to Puppet. I'd expect that the behavior I saw from EFNet, but not
    Freenode. For example, I asked a related question, the reply was F-bomb,
    gringo, F-bomb. Kinda funny, but can sour someone else less amused.
    Yeah, we seem to go through phases where this happens. If it is
    happening, just shout my name in IRC. If I'm around I'll take care of
    it. If I'm not responding, feel free to try ping other Puppet Labs
    employees. I'm trying to make sure we have 24x7 coverage on the
    channel for that sort of thing, but it just isn't always happening.
    As a last resort, you can contact people in #freenode; they are quite
    helpful.

    Mike