Hi all,

Doing some work with a puppet 2.7.14 installation to see what's new and needs to be changed, however i'm seeing unexpected behavior with my manifests, so my external node directory isn't being imported. This is on a rhel 5 server with the puppet rpms from yum.puppetlabs.com, but the cilent machines is based on fc17 beta with 2.7.13 rpm (which is with that version for now, and has ruby-libs 1.9.3)

First, some appropriate filedumps frome manifests directory:

-------
cat /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp
import gfedevws-templates
import 'nodes'

-------
cat /etc/puppet/manifests/gfedevws-templates.pp
class gfedevws-template {
notify { "gfedevws-template": }
include common::puppet-cron
include gfedevws::puppet-conf
}

-------
cat /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp
node default {
include common::puppet-cron
notify ( "Default node": }
include gfedevws::puppet-conf
}

#node gfedev-fc17test {
# include common::puppet-cron
# notify ( "gfedev in node.pp": }
# include gfedevws::puppet-conf
#}

import 'gfedevws/*.pp'

-------
ls /etc/puppet/manifests/gfedevws/
gfedev-fc17test.pp init.pp

-------
cat /etc/puppet/manifests/gfedevws/init.pp
import "*"

-------
cat /etc/puppet/manifests/gfedevws/gfedev-fc17test.pp
node gfedev-fc17test {
include gfedevws-template
notify { "gfedevws/gfedev-fc17test" : }
}

-------

Every time I run puppet on the client, it falls through to the default node, or if I comment out the default node it does nothing. The one time I uncommented the gfedev-fc17test node entry in nodes pp it applied that correctly, and didn't complain of duplicate node defintion as in previous releases. However I'm unable to make it apply the configuration in the imported gfedevws subdirectory.

I know import is frowned upon, but at this stage its still valid for node definition/manifests, and should be working correctly, unless i'm missing something. All the modules actually used are also correct as far as I can see.

Is there a way I can check or prove if those files are even being parsed by puppet? running my puppetmaster with debug doesn't seem to trigger anything useful.

Regards,

Daniel

  • Dan White at May 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm
    What is the output if you say:
    puppet cert list --all
    on the puppet master ?
    I am thinking it could be as simple as a typo in the node name.
[...]

  • Daniel Dekok at May 15, 2012 at 2:35 am
    I hope not, i'll feel like a right dill
    puppet cert list --all
    + gfedev-fc17test.bom.gov.au (70:B8:34:3D:50:36:D9:F6:C1:C3:4B:D5:3C:55:C3:5B)
    + ho-mantis-op.bom.gov.au (75:77:30:84:7E:3E:F9:AB:34:3A:18:E4:15:13:6F:FE) (alt names: DNS:ho-mantis-op.bom.gov.au, DNS:puppet, DNS:puppet.bom.gov.au)

    Thanks,

    Daniel
[...]

  • Dan White at May 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm
    At the risk of making a few pickle jokes,
    puppet is not going to match "gfedev-fc17test.bom.gov.au" to "node gfedev-fc17test"

    Use the full name and apples she'll be. (Did I use that correctly ? I'm just a sooky Seppo practicing strine)

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    ----- Daniel Dekok wrote:
[...]

  • Jcbollinger at May 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm