Hello,

We are currently evaluating Puppet and Chef on several criteria and we
have found a big difference between the amount of information
retrieved by Facter in Puppet and the amount of information retrieved
by Ohai in Chef for a same virtual machine.

There is about 2000 lines in the JSON file provided by Chef when there
is only 72 lines in the YAML file provided by Puppet.

For Chef, it is a formatted JSON so there is a certain amount of lines
because of the json hierarchy and there is too a lot of "Not
Specified" data meaning no useful data, but even comparing the raw
useful data, there's still a big difference.

We would like to know if there are plugins / modules for Facter that
are freely available and would permit to fill the gap between Puppet
and Chef on this aspect.

Could you please give us some links on facts that are not included in
facter and would permit to retrieve more information on the nodes ?

Unless we miss some configuration or documentation from puppetlabs
which would permit to extract more facts from nodes ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Best regards,
Christophe

  • Gary Larizza at May 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm
    Christophe,

    Let me ask a question: what extra information is Ohai providing (that
    Facter does not currently) that you would be using in your
    manifests/cookbooks? Usually people utilize similar bits of
    Facter-provided information (operatingsystem, release version, ipaddress,
    interfaces, domain, hostname, fqdn, etc...) but the other information they
    want to utilize is fairly specialized to their organization (role,
    environment, location, group, etc...). In the latter case, you would need
    to create custom facts to define those anyway. I AM genuinely interested
    in the information that Ohai is providing (that Facter is not) that you
    find useful - we're definitely open to providing more useful information.

    As for a fact repository, facts are provided inside modules in our Module
    Forge (forge.puppetlabs.com) inside the lib/facter directory of Modules.
    Many modules contain facts, and I encourage you to check there for more
    information :)

    Cheers!
[...]

    Professional Services Engineer
    Puppet Labs

  • Christophe L at May 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm
    Hello Gary,

    Thank you for your answer.

    First, I should have written about "raw meaningful data" rather than "raw
    useful data" because you are right that a lot of the extra information are
    not actually useful :)

    For information, the aim is not to use the information in modules, but to
    fill a CMDB system from the information extracted from Puppet or Chef.

    But there are still some information not provided by puppet that we would
    need, for example:
    - IPv6 of the server (we got only the IPv4)
    - release date of the bios ( that can give an idea about the date of
    manufacturing of the server)
    - family, vendor, speed of the CPU cores
    - on linux, mounting points with size allocated and filesystem type

    Actually, there may be others but I have not looked yet in details in the
    Chef file because there is too much in it ;)

    About the module forge, I went there and found only two modules which looks
    related to facter
    http://forge.puppetlabs.com/tags/facter

    are there more modules that I have not seen ?

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Best regards,
    Christophe

  • Ryan Coleman at May 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm
    Hi Christophe,

    The facter tag is something a user would have to use when they release
    their module. There are many more custom facts on the Forge that
    simply aren't tagged. Your thread inspired me to create a feature
    request for searching specifically for facts:
    https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/14431

    If you haven't already discovered this, it's quite easy to create your
    own custom facts for getting the information you want and we'd love to
    see you upload those additions to the Forge.
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/custom_facts.html

    Cheers!

    --Ryan

  • Philip Brown at May 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm