I'm having some issues applying a default set of modules to all of my nodes
managed by Foreman. I have around 20 nodes split among 4 environments. I
have a node {default...} stanza in site.pp, but due to the way puppet
handles ENCs, nothing from this is applied to my nodes. I have looked at
host groups in Foreman, but they don't seem to do what I want, since they
are applied per-environment. Basically I just want to duplicate the
behavior of node {default} in Foreman. I don't care which environment they
are in. Any ideas?

  • Craig White at May 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

    I'm having some issues applying a default set of modules to all of my nodes managed by Foreman. I have around 20 nodes split among 4 environments. I have a node {default...} stanza in site.pp, but due to the way puppet handles ENCs, nothing from this is applied to my nodes. I have looked at host groups in Foreman, but they don't seem to do what I want, since they are applied per-environment. Basically I just want to duplicate the behavior of node {default} in Foreman. I don't care which environment they are in. Any ideas?
    ----
    the 'per environment' only means that you define the same host group and note that Foreman's host groups can be nested.

    Craig

  • Ohad Levy at May 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm

    I'm having some issues applying a default set of modules to all of my
    nodes managed by Foreman. I have around 20 nodes split among 4
    environments. I have a node {default...} stanza in site.pp, but due to the
    way puppet handles ENCs, nothing from this is applied to my nodes. I have
    looked at host groups in Foreman, but they don't seem to do what I want,
    since they are applied per-environment. Basically I just want to duplicate
    the behavior of node {default} in Foreman. I don't care which environment
    they are in. Any ideas?

    you could always get foreman data, and merge it with your own set of
    defaults (via your own simple enc script).

    Ohad
  • Jake - USPS at May 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    Does that mean there is currently not a way to do this straight in foreman?
    This is something I would like also (as of yesterday :P). I don't really
    want to script my own solution based off foreman data ... cause maybe my
    'defaults' will change and I would love to have that tracked in foreman
    (kind of a single source of data) instead of the need to edit some script.

    Thanks,
    Jake

  • Jake - USPS at May 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    Continuing discussion at thread in foreman users @
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/foreman-users/uhW_EwO4LLg