I have a MySQL database table that effectively holds key-value pairs
which link each node to its parent (ESXi hypervisor). I want to use this
information to set the Nagios parent, which is easy to do, client-side.

I'm not sure what the best approach is. I considered writing a custom
fact that does a brief MySQL query to discover that node's parent. I
wasn't able to find any code I was prepared to run in production - is
there a neater way of using a ruby module to query MySQL? The example on
this page is dirty.

http://ppadron.blog.br/2009/09/25/facter-puppet-writing-custom-facts-to-manage-plesk-servers/

Alternatively, is there any way to access this data server-side that can
be accessed on a per-node basis?

Cheers,
Jonathan

  • Luke Bigum at May 9, 2012 at 11:02 am
    Your existing DB probably doesn't match what hiera-mysql is expecting,
    but maybe it's something you could refactor:

    http://www.craigdunn.org/2012/03/introducing-hiera-mysql-mysql-backend-for-hiera/

    --
    Luke Bigum

    Information Systems
    Ph: +44 (0) 20 3192 2520
    luke.bigum@lmax.com | http://www.lmax.com
    LMAX, Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London W11 4AN

    FX and CFDs are leveraged products that can result in losses exceeding
    your deposit. They are not suitable for everyone so please ensure you
    fully understand the risks involved. The information in this email is not
    directed at residents of the United States of America or any other
    jurisdiction where trading in CFDs and/or FX is restricted or prohibited
    by local laws or regulations.

    The information in this email and any attachment is confidential and is
    intended only for the named recipient(s). The email may not be disclosed
    or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in
    any way. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender
    immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorised
    copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
    strictly forbidden.

    LMAX operates a multilateral trading facility. Authorised and regulated
    by the Financial Services Authority (firm registration number 509778) and
    is registered in England and Wales (number 06505809).
    Our registered address is Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London, W11
    4AN.