I'm trying to set up a system in which the web devs can deploy new websites
via puppet kick. I'm not having a problem with puppet kick itself, but
rather figuring out how to make my "webserver::sitelist" class *only* get
deployed via puppet kick, and not have it regularly evaluated in the
nodes.pp file. I don't want webserver::sitelist to ever get automatically
run by the puppet daemon. I only want that manually run via puppet kick.

Here's my puppet kick command:
sudo puppet kick --tag webserver::sitelist --host webserver.example.com

This works fine as long as "include webserver::sitelist" is in the nodes.pp
file for webserver.example.com. But I don't want it to be in the nodes file
and get evaluated every 30 minutes. When I comment out that include line,
the puppet kick command above doesn't run the webserver::sitelist. It just
exits successfully without doing anything.

What's the recommended way to do this?

  • Miles Stevenson at May 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    I thought the answer to this would be tagging. User a conditional and a tag
    such that a class is only included if a tag has been set. The problem is
    that the tags that you specify with puppet-kick do not get evaluated when
    the node manifests are running. There is a low priority feature request to
    add this functionality.

    So does this mean I'm boned? It seems odd that there is no way to have some
    portions of a manifest applied automatically and other portions only
    applied manually when you "kick" them.

    Will I need to resort to something as lame as a shell-script wrapper that
    uses sed to add the class to the nodes files, kick the server, and then
    remove the class from the nodes file again?