Is there a way of issuing a puppet kick to multiple hosts without
LDAP?

I see the puppet kick options suports this with "all" and "class" but
only with LDAP at present.

I have a number of hosts so specifying each host using it's FQDN is a
bit messy. I've tried using "--no-fqdn" but get:

"hostname was not match with the server certificate"

Everything works as expected when specifying --host <hostname>
multiple times.

Ideally I'd like to use a an input file with a list of hosts to kick.
Is there any way of achieving this without specifying each hosts FQDN
or moving to LDAP?

  • Christopher Wood at May 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm
    I'd write a cheap wrapper script, substituting paths as required. I'm also not fussy about kicking sequentially.

    $ echo host1 >>/tmp/mail; echo host2 >>/tmp/mail
    $ cat /tmp/mail
    host1
    host2
    $ cat /tmp/km
    #!/bin/bash dir=/tmp
    for x in `cat $dir/$1`; do
    echo /usr/bin/puppet kick $x
    done
    $ /tmp/km mail
    /usr/bin/puppet kick host1
    /usr/bin/puppet kick host2

    Modify paths as necessary. Then each subsequent time you need only "km mail" to apply the boot.
    Is there a way of issuing a puppet kick to multiple hosts without
    LDAP?

    I see the puppet kick options suports this with "all" and "class" but
    only with LDAP at present.

    I have a number of hosts so specifying each host using it's FQDN is a
    bit messy. I've tried using "--no-fqdn" but get:

    "hostname was not match with the server certificate"

    Everything works as expected when specifying --host <hostname>
    multiple times.

    Ideally I'd like to use a an input file with a list of hosts to kick.
    Is there any way of achieving this without specifying each hosts FQDN
    or moving to LDAP?

  • The_fonz at May 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm
    Thanks for the reply.

    Sudden;y dawned on me to to pipe an input file through xargs

    cat <list of servers> | xargs puppet kick

    I'll look at your method in more detail, thanks again.

    Cheers though, your method would be

    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.> To post to this group, send email topuppet-users@googlegroups.com.> To unsubscribe from this group, send email topuppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.