Hi!

I want to have an exec that launches a process on a Windows 7 system that
will not terminate.

I have tried just calling the executable directly, but that obviously will
not return anything, so the puppet agent waits until the timeout has
elapsed, then the exec fails.

I've tried using a batch file to exec the process, but puppet picks up the
child process and won't mark the exec successful because the child never
returns an exit code.

Any ideas on how I can force the puppet agent to just monitor any return of
a parent launcher process and not worry about the subsequent child process?

Thanks!

  • Josh Cooper at May 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    Hi Rob,
    I want to have an exec that launches a process on a Windows 7 system that
    will not terminate.

    I have tried just calling the executable directly, but that obviously will
    not return anything, so the puppet agent waits until the timeout has
    elapsed, then the exec fails.

    I've tried using a batch file to exec the process, but puppet picks up the
    child process and won't mark the exec successful because the child never
    returns an exit code.

    Any ideas on how I can force the puppet agent to just monitor any return
    of a parent launcher process and not worry about the subsequent child
    process?

    Thanks!
    You probably want to do something like:

    cmd.exe /c start /b <command> [arg1] ...

    You may or may not need the /b depending on whether you are trying to
    launch a console or gui application.

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper