All,

I am trying to install puppet master version 2.7.13 on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 6, and utilize stored configs.

I followed the guide here: http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Using_Stored_Configuration

When I run puppet --noop on one of the clients, I get the following
error:

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
SERVER: Could not autoload active_record: uninitialized constant
ActiveRecord
warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

Googling this error has a smattering of hits, including one that
recommends using the 3.0.11 version of the Active Record gem, but I
get the same error.

I have installed both the 3.2.3 and 3.0.11 versions of the
ActiveRecord gem (3.0.11 was recomended here:
https://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users/browse_thread/thread/55f29e9454ad5675)

This error occurs regardless of the DB backend I tie to. I have tried
both the postgres and mysql documentation.

# ruby --version
# puppet --version
2.7.13
# puppetmasterd --version
2.7.13

I have searched the puppetlabs issue tracker and found a possibly
related issue:"Debian Squeeze package puppetmaster: Could not autoload
active_record: uninitialized constant ActiveRecord"(http://
projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/14080). This indicates that I may be
missing a related package or gem -- but I don't even know where to
start tracking down the missing package.

On IRC it has been suggested that I install rubygem-activerecord, but
this does not appear to be in the EPEL repo -- Haus on IRC found a
2.3.8 version of this package that I installed to test, but I get the
same error. I managed to get a different error briefly, when I was
running multiple versions of activerecord, activeresource and
activesupport -- installed through a mix of gem and yum. Deleting the
non-yum versions returned me to the existing error, so I am chalking
that up as a fluke at this time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

  • Jeff Chapin at May 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    Is anyone successfully running a puppet master with stored configs on RHEL
    6? If so, would they be able to share version information or setup
    documentation?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    )

[...]

    Assistant Systems/Applications Administrator
    ITS-IS, University of Northern Iowa
    Phone: 319-273-3162 Email: jeff.chapin@uni.edu

  • Iceberg at May 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    What I found was that you need to gem uninstall ALL of the active* gems,
    then reinstall and specify 3.0.xx version. Just replacing ActiveRecord
    won't fix the problem.

    I have more notes in my wiki at work, if that doesn't do it I'll grab them
    for you Monday.
[...]

  • Abhay at Sep 7, 2012 at 8:27 am
    Could you post those notes?

    -removing all gems and installing active-record 3.0.11 did not fix the
    problem

    On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Jeff Chapin <jeff....@uni.edu<javascript:>
[...]

    Phone: 319-273-3162 Email: Jeff....@uni.edu <javascript:>

  • Avishai Ish-Shalom at Sep 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm
    We have puppet master running on CentOS 6.3; you need:
    activerecord 3.1.x, rails 3.1.x (we are using 3.1.8)
    storeconfigs is using activerecord backend with mysql adapter - do not use
    the mysql2 adapter.
[...]

  • Ohad Levy at Sep 11, 2012 at 6:06 am

    We have puppet master running on CentOS 6.3; you need:
    activerecord 3.1.x, rails 3.1.x (we are using 3.1.8)
    storeconfigs is using activerecord backend with mysql adapter - do not use
    the mysql2 adapter
    why not? afaik, rails 3.x recommends using mysql2 adapter.
    .

    com/projects/1/wiki/Using_**Stored_Configuration<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Using_Stored_Configuration>

    When I run puppet --noop on one of the clients, I get the following
    error:

    err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
    SERVER: Could not autoload active_record: uninitialized constant
    ActiveRecord
    warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
    err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

    Googling this error has a smattering of hits, including one that
    recommends using the 3.0.11 version of the Active Record gem, but I
    get the same error.

    I have installed both the 3.2.3 and 3.0.11 versions of the
    ActiveRecord gem (3.0.11 was recomended here:
    https://groups.google.com/**group/puppet-users/browse_**
    thread/thread/55f29e9454ad5675<https://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users/browse_thread/thread/55f29e9454ad5675>
    **)

    projects.puppetlabs.com/**issues/14080<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/14080>).
    This indicates that I may be
    missing a related package or gem -- but I don't even know where to
    start tracking down the missing package.

    On IRC it has been suggested that I install rubygem-activerecord, but
    this does not appear to be in the EPEL repo -- Haus on IRC found a
    2.3.8 version of this package that I installed to test, but I get the
    same error. I managed to get a different error briefly, when I was
    running multiple versions of activerecord, activeresource and
    activesupport -- installed through a mix of gem and yum. Deleting the
    non-yum versions returned me to the existing error, so I am chalking
    that up as a fluke at this time.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Jeff
    For more options, visit this group at