Hi.

I have to install a client/server app. The server end is easily set
up but I need a puppet module that ensures a package is installed on a
managed node only if the server package has already been installed on
a different server.

Is there a way to do this?

  • Denmat at Apr 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm
    Hi,

    To my knowledge there is no simple way. I know there has been talk of this previously on the list so you can search that for other answers.

    That said a possibility is that you can have a custom fact that checks for an open port on the server. If it responds set it to true. There are obvious issues with this and may not prove to be reliable.

    The main thing here is that the client should have the package or it shouldn't. It's not good practice to define the current state of a node depending on the current state of another. That is, system configuration should be independent of each other's state.

    You can also look at orchestration tools like MCollective that might help you get your end goal.

    Cheers,
    Den
    I have to install a client/server app. The server end is easily set
    up but I need a puppet module that ensures a package is installed on a
    managed node only if the server package has already been installed on
    a different server.

    Is there a way to do this?

  • Craig Dunn at May 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm

    I have to install a client/server app. The server end is easily set
    up but I need a puppet module that ensures a package is installed on a
    managed node only if the server package has already been installed on
    a different server.

    Is there a way to do this?
    As others have said, it's tricky - Could you maybe try something funky
    with exported resources here? (this is untested and pretty hacky :P )

    # server

    define clientenabled () {
    @@package { "client":
    ensure => latest,

    package { "server":
    ensure => latest,
    }

    clientenabled { "foo":
    require => Package['server']
    }

    # client

    Package <<| title == "client" |>>

    Depends on the exact behavior you want, this may be completely the wrong
    approach - this will just mean that the client will not get installed
    until Puppet has been run and installed the server package first - it
    wont actually do the orchestration for you though

    --
    Craig Dunn | http://www.craigdunn.org
    Yahoo/Skype: craigrdunn | Twitter: @crayfishX