I have a Puppet Enterprise (2.0) puppetmaster running with Foreman,
and having trouble getting it working as an External Node Classifier.
In short, if I manually add a test client into site.pp, it will
retrieve the proper catalog / classes, but I would like to avoid
having to do that. I'm also using environments (production/testing/
development) as well, but think I have most of this configured
correctly -

on the puppetmaster's puppet.conf - I do have:

node_terminus = exec
external_nodes = /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/node.rb

node.rb does exist and is owned by pe-puppet, executable, etc. I've
verified I can view
the yaml for a test client using the script.

and I have stanzas for each environment in the master's puppet.conf -
[production]
modulepath=/etc/puppetlabs/puppet/production/modules
[testing]
...etc..

and the client's puppet.conf has :
environment = testing under the agent stanza.

Running: puppet agent --test --environment testing
will run, but doesn't apply any classes.

I'm not sure what else I may be missing? Thanks in advance.

  • Ohad Levy at Apr 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm

[...]

    beside checking your logs, you should also make sure you can run that
    script as the puppetmaster user and not root.

    Ohad
  • Droog72 at Apr 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm
    Hi Ohad,

    Sorry, I'm not really seeing anything useful in the logs, I can see
    about turning up verbosity, etc.

    node.rb is owned by puppetmaster user and not root -

    The ownership / permissions are :
    -r-xr-xr-x. 1 pe-puppet pe-puppet 705 Apr 27 13:24 node.rb

    and I was able to run /etc/puppetmaster/puppet/node.rb as the pe-
    puppet user and retrieve the yaml for a client.

    thanks again
[...]

  • Brian Gupta at Apr 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm
    Just to make sure, when you run node.rb does it return foreman_env in
    the parameters stanza, the expected classes and a proper reference to
    the foreman_env in the environment stanza?

    Cheers,
    Brian
[...]

  • Droog72 at Apr 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    Hi,

    I don't actually see foreman_env - here's the actual output:

    environment: development
    classes:
    - concat::setup
    - dns
    - facts
    - hardening
    - mcollective
    - network
    - ntp
    - postfix
    - rhel
    - satellite::client
    - snmpd
    - ssh
    - sudo
    - users
    - vmware
    parameters:
    puppetmaster: puppet
    mac: XXXXXXXX
    ip: XXXXXXXX
    puppet_env: development

    thanks again,
    Steve
[...]

  • Brian Gupta at Apr 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm
    Hmm. Are you definitely using the node.rb from here?
    http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/External_Nodes

    Also that doesn't 100% look like the output of Foreman's ENC, are you
    sure your node.rb is pointing at Foreman, including the correct port?

    Thanks,
    Brian

[...]

  • Droog72 at Apr 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm
    Hi,

    Yeah, that's the script I've grabbed. Only difference(s) are, I'm
    using #!/opt/puppet/bin/ruby (embedded ruby
    shipped w/ Puppet Enterprise), and have the script located in /etc/
    puppetlabs/puppet/node.rb - but that's reflected
    in the puppetmaster's puppet.conf. external_nodes = /etc/puppetlabs/
    puppet/node.rb

    I've tried using:
    foreman_url="http://puppet:3000" (and puppet is in the
    puppetmaster's hosts file)
    and also using
    foreman_url="http://IP:3000"

    Otherwise, that script is 100% identical. One thing I probably should
    have mentioned though, and could be causing me trouble? -
    we are looking to migrate from an open source implementation which is
    already up and running, to this Puppet Enterprise setup. I had just
    dumped the entire MySQL puppet DB from the open source install, and
    restored it over on my PE setup. All the puppet classes,
    environments, etc. appear to be in Foreman, though nothing is getting
    applied to my test node(s), unless I define them in site.pp, and
    again, I can't see anything wrong with how I've set it up as an ENC.
    The help is much appreciated.

    thanks