Hello,

I accidentally deleted a module from my puppetmaster modules directory. Sadly, I didn't have a recent backup or use version control. :( (Live and learn)

Is there a way to recover the module from one of the clients or the master?

Thanks.

-- Alex

  • Luke Bigum at Apr 24, 2012 at 7:59 am
    Hi Alex,

    Agents write their last catalog to disk in
    /var/lib/puppet/client_yaml/catalog/${hostname}.yaml. If you've got an
    Agent that hasn't done a Puppet run since you deleted that module, this
    file will contain the information you're after. It's not the most
    prettily formatted thing though, so I'd suggest combine this information
    with...

    Have you seen the Puppet Ralsh tool? It's a utility that will give you a
    Puppet manifest formatted description of a resource. If you find all the
    resource names and types that module managed you can then use this to
    generate resource definitions. Unfortunately it looks like reports only
    show the detail you're after if that resource was changed in some way
    during the Puppet run. If I look for my puppet::install class I can see
    it manages the Package resource "puppet":

    [root@hostname state]# grep 'Puppet::Install'
    /var/lib/puppet/state/last_run_report.yaml
    source: "/Stage[main]/Puppet::Install/Package[puppet]/ensure"

    And I can use Ralsh to generate a resource definition as best it can (it
    gives me a version number rather than ensure=>latest):

    [root@stgweb03 state]# ralsh package puppet
    package { 'puppet':
    ensure => '2.7.12-1.el5.centos',
    }

    And again for puppet::service:

    [root@stgweb03 state]# grep 'Puppet::Service'
    /var/lib/puppet/state/last_run_report.yaml
    source: "/Stage[main]/Puppet::Service/Service[puppet]"
    [root@stgweb03 state]# ralsh service puppet
    service { 'puppet':
    ensure => 'stopped',
    enable => 'false',

    You'll never be able to regenerate any logic you used to arrive at this
    state (if statements, case statements, etc) but at least you have all
    the results and can work backwards to a proper module.

    Hope that helps,

    -Luke
    I accidentally deleted a module from my puppetmaster modules
    directory. Sadly, I didn't have a recent backup or use version
    control. :( (Live and learn)

    Is there a way to recover the module from one of the clients or the
    master?

    Thanks.

    -- Alex

    Luke Bigum

    Information Systems
    Ph: +44 (0) 20 3192 2520
    luke.bigum@lmax.com | http://www.lmax.com
    LMAX, Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London W11 4AN

    FX and CFDs are leveraged products that can result in losses exceeding
    your deposit. They are not suitable for everyone so please ensure you
    fully understand the risks involved. The information in this email is not
    directed at residents of the United States of America or any other
    jurisdiction where trading in CFDs and/or FX is restricted or prohibited
    by local laws or regulations.

    The information in this email and any attachment is confidential and is
    intended only for the named recipient(s). The email may not be disclosed
    or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in
    any way. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender
    immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorised
    copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
    strictly forbidden.

    LMAX operates a multilateral trading facility. Authorised and regulated
    by the Financial Services Authority (firm registration number 509778) and
    is registered in England and Wales (number 06505809).
    Our registered address is Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London, W11
    4AN.