FAQ
Dear all,

Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named *false* in
the present working directory, if I run *puppetd -t* manually on the puppet
agent. The directory contents are like this:

8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path

does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Search Discussions

  • Peter Bukowinski at Apr 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm
    Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you, perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

    -- Peter
    On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans wrote:

    Dear all,

    Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named false in the present working directory, if I run puppetd -t manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are like this:

    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path


    does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Sans at Apr 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    Not sure what exactly do you mean; I haven't defined and path with "false"
    in it.
    It appears that the "false" directory is being created for this file
    definition:


    'facts.yaml':
    name => '/tmp/facts.yaml',
    content => inline_template("<%= scope.to_hash.reject { |k,v| !(
    k.is_a?(String) && v.is_a?(String) ) }.to_yaml %>");
    and the "path" file contents:


    >

    [root@farm021 ~]# cat
    false/b/8/5/9/a/4/1/d/b859a41d3c782bbfe768eb8fa70c63b5/paths
    /tmp/facts.yaml

    I don't see any error on the agent during the 'puppetd -t' run though. Am I
    making any sense here at all? Cheers!!


    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:39:16 PM UTC+1, pmbuko wrote:

    Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you,
    perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

    -- Peter

    On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans wrote:

    Dear all,

    Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named *false*in the present working directory, if I run
    *puppetd -t* manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are
    like this:

    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path

    does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
    puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/2gmJRhBi1OQJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Sans at Apr 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    I don't know what exactly you mean: I don't have any path defined with
    "false" in it.
    Just figured out that whenever the content of a file is being modified, the
    "*false*" directory is being created with the old file (as "content") in
    it. So, looks like it's actually not modifying the file (in question) at
    all but replacing with the new one and keeping the old (i.e. original) one
    in the "*false*" directory. Am I making any sense here at all? Cheers!!



    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:39:16 PM UTC+1, pmbuko wrote:

    Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you,
    perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

    -- Peter

    On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans wrote:

    Dear all,

    Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named *false*in the present working directory, if I run
    *puppetd -t* manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are
    like this:

    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path

    does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
    puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/C9huAsW--VsJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Sans at Apr 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    Thanks Peter! Got it now!

    You were absolutely right - I had *path => 'false' *for filebucket (in
    the site.pp).
    But I thought, Puppet recommends to quote around everything (apart from
    variables). That's not true, I see. Cheers!!


    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:12:02 PM UTC+1, Sans wrote:

    I don't know what exactly you mean: I don't have any path defined with
    "false" in it.
    Just figured out that whenever the content of a file is being modified,
    the "*false*" directory is being created with the old file (as "content")
    in it. So, looks like it's actually not modifying the file (in question) at
    all but replacing with the new one and keeping the old (i.e. original) one
    in the "*false*" directory. Am I making any sense here at all? Cheers!!



    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:39:16 PM UTC+1, pmbuko wrote:

    Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you,
    perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

    -- Peter

    On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans wrote:

    Dear all,

    Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named *false*in the present working directory, if I run
    *puppetd -t* manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are
    like this:

    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path

    does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
    puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/M9LXUDvJXtYJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Peter Bukowinski at Apr 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm
    Glad you got it sorted. You've discovered the importance of quoting and *not* quoting. The best practice is to single quote any string that does not contain a variable. If you're using a variable, use double quotes so it gets interpreted properly. Quotes should *not* be used around any of puppet's native values, e.g. true/running, false/stopped, present, absent, file, directory, link latest, absent, purged, etc.

    --
    Peter
    On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Sans wrote:

    Thanks Peter! Got it now!

    You were absolutely right - I had path => 'false' for filebucket (in the site.pp).
    But I thought, Puppet recommends to quote around everything (apart from variables). That's not true, I see. Cheers!!



    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:12:02 PM UTC+1, Sans wrote:
    I don't know what exactly you mean: I don't have any path defined with "false" in it.
    Just figured out that whenever the content of a file is being modified, the "false" directory is being created with the old file (as "content") in it. So, looks like it's actually not modifying the file (in question) at all but replacing with the new one and keeping the old (i.e. original) one in the "false" directory. Am I making any sense here at all? Cheers!!




    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:39:16 PM UTC+1, pmbuko wrote:
    Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you, perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

    -- Peter
    On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans wrote:

    Dear all,

    Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named false in the present working directory, if I run puppetd -t manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are like this:

    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/contents
    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a172/path


    does any one know what are these and why they are being created? Cheers!!

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/M9LXUDvJXtYJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    Peter

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Nigel Kersten at Apr 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    This should get reported as a bug though.

    We should probably only accept absolute paths for the 'path' parameter, and
    "false" should get interpreted as the boolean.
    On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Peter Bukowinski wrote:

    Glad you got it sorted. You've discovered the importance of quoting and
    *not* quoting. The best practice is to single quote any string that does
    not contain a variable. If you're using a variable, use double quotes so it
    gets interpreted properly. Quotes should *not* be used around any of
    puppet's native values, e.g. true/running, false/stopped, present, absent,
    file, directory, link latest, absent, purged, etc.

    --
    Peter

    On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Sans wrote:

    Thanks Peter! Got it now!

    You were absolutely right - I had *path => 'false' *for filebucket (in
    the site.pp).
    But I thought, Puppet recommends to quote around everything (apart from
    variables). That's not true, I see. Cheers!!


    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:12:02 PM UTC+1, Sans wrote:

    I don't know what exactly you mean: I don't have any path defined with
    "false" in it.
    Just figured out that whenever the content of a file is being modified,
    the "*false*" directory is being created with the old file (as
    "content") in it. So, looks like it's actually not modifying the file (in
    question) at all but replacing with the new one and keeping the old (i.e.
    original) one in the "*false*" directory. Am I making any sense here at
    all? Cheers!!



    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:39:16 PM UTC+1, pmbuko wrote:

    Looks like you have an error in your filebucket definition. Did you,
    perhaps, put quotes around "false" when you defined the path?

    -- Peter

    On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Sans wrote:

    Dear all,

    Since last night, Puppet is started creating a directory, named *false*in the present working directory, if I run
    *puppetd -t* manually on the puppet agent. The directory contents are
    like this:

    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/**83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a1**72/contents
    8/3/e/5/8/6/5/9/**83e586594432759eb7aed007e888a1**72/path

    does any one know what are these and why they are being created?
    Cheers!!

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/**
    msg/puppet-users/-/**nKerekDGmcoJ<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/nKerekDGmcoJ>
    .
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@*
    *googlegroups.com <puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/**
    group/puppet-users?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en>
    .
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/M9LXUDvJXtYJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
    puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.


    --
    Peter

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
    puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Krzysztof Wilczynski at Apr 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    Hi,
    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:38:27 PM UTC+1, Nigel Kersten wrote:

    This should get reported as a bug though.

    We should probably only accept absolute paths for the 'path' parameter,
    and "false" should get interpreted as the boolean.
    +1

    KW

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/9JTXiNpMVkUJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Peter Bukowinski at Apr 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm
    Reported.

    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/14173

    --
    Peter
    On Apr 24, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Krzysztof Wilczynski wrote:

    Hi,

    On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:38:27 PM UTC+1, Nigel Kersten wrote:
    This should get reported as a bug though.

    We should probably only accept absolute paths for the 'path' parameter, and "false" should get interpreted as the boolean.

    +1

    KW
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedApr 24, '12 at 12:13p
activeApr 25, '12 at 5:28p
posts9
users4
websitepuppetlabs.com

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase